mombecker's profile

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

Monday, December 19th, 2022 12:04 AM

Closed

How to assign a static IP address

I can't find a way to assign a static IP address to a connected device via the Xfinity app. I used to do this by logging onto my XB-7 modem directly via a web browser. But entering http://10.0.0.1 reroutes to myrouter.io which gives me nothing but an error message: The page's address isn't valid.

Really, Xfinity? [Edited: "Language"]?

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Rebooting the router got access to 10.0.0.1 back, so that question is answered.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to assign a static IP address via the Xfinity app. Supposedly the app is supposed to be able to do "everything," but I don't see a way to do that.

Official Employee

• 

553 Messages

Hello @mombecker, thanks for reaching out for help on our forums! Please note that we do not offer Static IPs with residential service. We offer them through our business service if you're interested. As for the modem management you must now use our XFINITY app instead of the old router address. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

2 years ago

A actual ‘Static’ ip is set on the client device, not the router, however a Reserved ip is configured on the router, 2 different things…. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityNico wrote: "... Please note that we do not offer Static IPs with residential service. ..."

That refers to public IPs. The OP is asking about IPs for the devices on their local network. These private device IPs can indeed be static or reserved.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

2 years ago

@BruceW  I also noticed a setting under lease time, you can set the length of the lease, but one option is ‘forever’ which is a global setting, but it might be easier for some…

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, I meant "Reserved IP" for devices on my local network. My bad.

Regardless, I don't see any way to do this in the Xfinity app. As I noted above, rebooting the router got 10.0.0.1 back, so I was able to change what I needed to change.

If I'm supposed to use the app vs the router address, then the functions available via the router address needed to be added to the app. Period.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here