PaCustomer's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 6:00 AM

Closed

How to add MAC address to MAC address filter

Hello. Does anyone know how to help me connect my HP printer to Xfinity internet? The HP printer error message says that I either need to disable MAC address filtering (sounds like a security risk) or add the MAC adddress of my printer to the Xfinity router. How do I do this? I know the MAC address, but don't know how to add it.

I'd also like to express how frustrating it is to get a runaround from the customer support phone line, only to be redirected to their AI bot, which is another 10 minute runaround with no answers or help available for my question. Then another 10 minutes trying to find a solution on Google and 5 more minutes to post the question on this forum.  This forum is my best hope for finding a solution!

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

4 years ago

@PaCustomer wrote:

Hello. Does anyone know how to help me connect my HP printer to Xfinity internet? The HP printer error message says that I either need to disable MAC address filtering (sounds like a security risk) or add the MAC adddress of my printer to the Xfinity router. How do I do this? I know the MAC address, but don't know how to add it.

I'd also like to express how frustrating it is to get a runaround from the customer support phone line, only to be redirected to their AI bot, which is another 10 minute runaround with no answers or help available for my question. Then another 10 minutes trying to find a solution on Google and 5 more minutes to post the question on this forum.  This forum is my best hope for finding a solution!

@PaCustomer I don`t use their modem as a Router/WiFi. But you would think it should be the same as any other router. Log in and add that MAC address to the MAC address filter list. You can log into the Modem at 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.100.1. If you have never logged in before, it`s probably still on the default log in settings, username "admin" password "password". And then check to see if thier is a mac address filter.

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

4 years ago

@BruceW wrote:

@Gambit66 wrote: ... Log in and add that MAC address to the MAC address filter list. ...

Wouldn't that block the printer's access? Isn't that the opposite of what the poster wants to do?

@BruceW  MAC address filters have 2 selections "ALLOW or REJECT" Or you can turn it completely off. @PaCustomer  ALLOW lets only the MAC addresses you have listed connect. REJECT specifcally targets MAC addresses you have listed and blocks them from connecting. Turning MAC address filter off is not recomended, as it will weaken your security. 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

4 years ago

@PaCustomer 

Are you attempting to connect via a WiFi connection or a hardwired ethernet connection ?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Gambit66 wrote: ... Log in and add that MAC address to the MAC address filter list. ...

Wouldn't that block the printer's access? Isn't that the opposite of what the poster wants to do?

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

I guess the first question is: Do you have MAC address filtering turned on?  I don't think consumer routers typically have that turned on by default (probably because it causes people to call their support lines and ask questions like this.)  If you turned mac address filtering on, then you have to add every device's mac address to get it to connect.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

How do you even find the part where you can add a MAC address? I can't seem to find that option in the Gateway.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

It seems like this is not 'my' device but Xfinity's. Since it was made available at no extra cost this wasn't such a surprise. None the less it feels odious. And I think the sharing 'my' LAN address block with Xfinity's customers is an unacceptable security risk. At a minimum this seemingly parasitic network access should be separated at layer 2, VLANS would be ok.  The WLAN and the LAN should be on separate layer 3 networks with no provision for routing between the two. This is a work from home requirement.  My partner works from home, her corporate security would not accept this situation. They don't  know. She is not technical, she does not know. Also, this WLAN the configuration and status is not visible. If I have to buy or use and old WLAN AP I will. Then I'll put a metal bucket over 'my' modem/AP.  The inability to determine my LAN subnet is particularly annoying. I think a /25 is the smallest, hence leaving IP space for Xfinity's guests.  I've already determined I can't replace the Xfinity specific firmware. MAC filtering at the logical demarc is a moral right, but seemingly a contractual privilege not extended to us.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here