U

Saturday, December 30th, 2023 4:59 PM

Closed

How do I get rid of CDTI CMTX as a user on my wifi.

I understand I need a MoCA filter before my coaxial cable. Will XFinity give it to me? Will someone come and need to install, or is it just a small piece of equipment and I just need to screw it in myself? Do I need to buy it separately? I recently upgraded to a new 5G router that you guys were giving in 2022.

2 Messages

9 months ago

Followup question: Will it slow down my internet in any way?

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

No, it won't "slow down" your internet.  All an MoCA point of entry filter does is it's a low pass filter.  It blocks the higher frequencies above 1Ghz MoCA uses and isolates your network from your neighbors.  It's just a small coax connector looking thing about an inch and a half long you screw right to your coax inline.

If you have no coax connected devices yourself, like a TV set top box connected via coax, then you can screw the filter right to the back of your gateway.

If you do have coax connected devices, then you need to install the filter on either the coax splitter that feeds all the other jacks in your residence, or where the service enters the residence from the street to isolate your network from your neighbors. 

If you search for "MoCA PoE filter" on amazon or walmart's site, they're about $10.  You can get one at an Xfinity store for free according to some users here.  

[Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

9 months ago

Hello user_9zvu5f

MoCA (stands for Multimedia over Coax Alliance) is a technology that uses the existing coaxial cables already in most people's homes. In essence, MoCA creates a wired Internet home network, but without the headache of drilling holes or running wires. It is nothing wild, it is just a small barrel like adapter that a tech would set up in line on the coax to avoid crosstalk between boxes.  It uses frequencies slightly above the normal cable TV frequencies to pass video to other devices. Comcast uses it for pairing boxes that use a primary box as the tuner.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

9 months ago

Xfinity's implementation of MoCA 2.0 IS A SECURITY PROBLEM because it has no notion of security in the protocol, which is WHY you have a neighbors device connecting to your network.

You are currently exposed to data theft, privacy violation, and could face legal consequences for any illicit activity your neighbor does while connected to YOUR network. 

Without the filter to isolate your network from your neighbors, you have a SECURITY PROBLEM [Edited: "Inflammatory"]

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here