pinballfan's profile

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

Friday, July 12th, 2024 5:29 AM

How do I find out what upload speeds I should expect?

I have an ARRIS S33v2 modem, and my plan speed is listed as "Download speed: up to 1200 Mbps, Upload speed: up to 200 Mbps".

I can pretty consistently get download speeds in the 800/900+ Mb/sec range, but my upload speeds seem capped at 40Mb/sec.

I've read some areas are upgraded to offer "enhanced" speeds.   How do I know if my area is upgraded?  Is there a list someplace?  Does the plan speed description mean my area is upgraded?

Shortly after I saw the plan speed start listing 200 Mbps uploads I upgraded to my current modem (based on the recommended list of modems).   But that didn't seem to change my speeds.

Now I see there is a list of modems that support the "Next Gen Speed Tier".    But before I buy a yet another new modem it would be nice to know if it will change anything.

Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

2 months ago

Hello, pinballfan thank you for taking time to create a post. You've contacted the correct place for assistance, and definitely want to help answer any questions you may have. 

How do I know if my area is upgraded? - If you're an in area where your upload speed is up to 200 MBPS, you're in a "enhanced speed" location. When the area hasn't been updated to support the higher upload speeds, up to 35 MBPS is the highest upload speed available. 

In regard to knowing what modems are compatible with higher uploads, we only have Next Gen modems listed for the upload speeds. If looking for a new modem in the future, you would want to purchase one in the next gen speed tier section: https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024.06.26%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf. 

The S33v2 modem is on the certified list, but not a recommended modem for higher upload speeds. Investigating online, I've seen other S33v2 modem users report that the modem doesn't support next gen upload speeds. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityJustinC​  So how can you tell if you're in an "enhanced speed" location?

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

Yeah, that's my question.  

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

pinballfan, once an area has been upgraded, you would receive an email notification letting your know about the recent upgrades and that our Next Gen Network is active in your area. If you have a Next Gen compatible owned modem, you would automatcially receive the upgraded speeds depending on your speed tier. Were you considering purchasing a Next Gen compatible modem or possibly using an Xfinity Gateway? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here