MisterEd51's profile

Problem Solver

• 

719 Messages

Friday, September 17th, 2021 5:13 AM

Closed

How do I change xfinity gateway’s settings in 10.0.0.1 from automatic to manual

I have an XB7 gateway. When I first got it I could log into 10.0.0.1 and experiment with Wi-Fi settings such as channel but now all Wi-Fi settings are grayed out.This includes the following menu pages:

• Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GHz
  • Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 5 GHz

Checking the menus it seems the only thing I can change are DHCP and IP address settings on the Connected Devices > Devices menu page.

Before I posted this I searched this forum and see a lot of people have been asking the same question for at least two years now. I found it disconcerting that many received no responses at all. I even asked the same question a few months ago and got no satisfactory response. Is there some kind of conspiracy going on with Comcast? Why doesn't anyone with this problem get a straightforward answer to such a basic problem? Has something changed with Comcast hardware? I have had Comcast Internet for 20 years now. This is the first time I have been locked out of the router settings.

When I first set up the gateway I set these things up by logging into 10.0.0.1 but now I can't even change those there. Don't bother suggesting visiting xfinity.com/myxfi because I already know that I can change the SSID name and Wi-FI password there but the problem is that is all I can change there.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

Have you tried doing it via the Xfi smartphone app ?

Problem Solver

• 

719 Messages

@EG The "advanced settings" aren't in the Xfinity app either. If I select More I get the following information:

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Why am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.

To me says that Comcast is no longer letting customers manage their own "advanced" settings. They will doing it automatically. Is this policy set in stone or is there a way to override this if a customer requests to manually configure the gateway themselves?

BTW, every time I use the Xfinity app or go to the XFi settings on my account I am bugged by a message that starts with "Lets simplify your WiFi...". I know they want to "be helpful" and combine my two SSIDs into one. I on purposely split my SSIDs for two reasons:

1. I need to keep as many devices on 5GHz as possible because I was getting interference with my computer's wireless keyboard at 2.4GHz. The problem went away when I did this.

2. Some devices that normally connected at 5Ghz would for some reason connect at 2.4GHz. I didn't realize this until I noticed how slow the WiFi was for them. To only way to fix this was to split the SSIDs.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@MisterEd51

yeah it's definitely frustrating to say the least! I was even told by one Comcast rep that using separate SSIDs is the reason I couldn't change channels now (I've been able to set them manually for months ever since getting my Xfinity modem/router) - BTW setting the SSIDs the same doesn't allow manual channel selection regardless of what they tried to tell me. I live in a condo with a ton of 2.4 interference so don't use that band for any of my devices but don't want to completely disable it in case I need to connect an older device or one of my friends comes over using an older iPhone or something so having the bands on separate SSIDs is the only way to ensure I don't get connected to 2.4 when I don't want to...why Xfinity is so adamant about getting us to use one SSID makes no sense to me, but after all the hassle I'm getting on eBay/Amazon and buying my own hardware!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I would really like this option too and it is locked for me. I am a SW engineer managing my wifi since wifi cards were external to laptops. The "automatic" configuration has all the networks in the area use the same 44 channel on 5Ghz band it is as bad as it can be and I am not allowed to change channel. 

Problem Solver

• 

719 Messages

@user_199b48 This is actually the second time I complained about this. I don't expect a definitive response because I got none last time. Why do they always give the same canned response? Don't they believe that there are some people like us that are competent enough to configure the router ourselves?

When I get some free time I might call customer support to see if I can get any further with this issue. I don't expect much based on the response I have gotten on these forums.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

@MisterEd51

Sorry to hear this. It wasn't a "canned response" from me.... I'm not an employee. I have nothing to gain from a "canned response". It was a genuine helping hand. I asked you that question to possibly help you. Sorry but I don't control their firmware or policy... Thanks for your answer because it helps me to be able to advise other fellow customers more accurately !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

Hi @MisterEd51, thank  you for reaching out to us in regards  to your modem settings concern. Certain features are restricted within the rented modem.

There has been an update and change. WiFi Intelligence automatically adjusts how a device connects to the network, what band the device is using to connect, channel selection, etc. in order to avoid interference and any congestion on the network and provide the best WiFi experience.

To ensure best-in-class service and to optimize our customers’ Xfinity Internet experience, we regularly enhance the capabilities of the xFi Gateway by updating the software running on them. If you desire the ability to adjust these settings manually you would need to explore using a personal modem. 

.We apologize for any inconvenience. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityAshley

it's crazy to me that optimizing and enhancing our experience means losing the ability to change WiFi channel settings, especially when now my Xfinity router sets itself to the most congested channels (both 2.4 and 5ghz) and stays there even after multiple reboots. At least if the router would pick a clear channel I could live with it, but I'll be returning my modem/router and buying my own - also, it seems you can't access many of the router settings from a computer and are forced to install the Xfinity app on a phone?!? Hopefully I'm just overlooking something here but it seems insane to me to be forced to use a phone to change network settings and not be allowed into the config with a PC...

Problem Solver

• 

719 Messages

@yamaholic1 The problem is that the phone app doesn't let you change the settings either. Making that claim by support just wasn't true.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

[Edited: Inflammatory/Language"] Good to know in the future they'll never get any of my business again that's for sure. I rented the device to be able to control the internal settings as I see fit. [Edited: "Inflammatory"]. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here