HELP! - Moving Gateway Issues - Troubleshoot Help Needed
*** long post for a simple question***
- internet connection has been terrible over recent weeks
- whole family working/schooling/gaming from home
- need better connection so video conference calls stop dropping out
- new house that has ten outlets that have cat5e cable (currently ending in a phone jack) and coax cable
- only one coax cable in the house is active right now, and it runs to near the downstairs tv where the internet and cable box is connected off a splitter
- all cables (cat5e and coax) terminate in a box in the closet
I am turning all cat5e cables into ethernet cables (both the end that terminates in the box in the close and the jack in the wall). I need to plug the ends in the closet into a powerful router that is connected to a modem (or a two in one). This router will send ethernet around my house to the ten ports AND also push wifi (not great as it's in the closet but I also have wifi extenders).
- when I move the current xFi gateway to the closet and connect it to the only active coax cable, it won't connect to the the internet. What I mean is, the gateway connects (solid white light), my phone connects to the gateway but then there is no internet connection.
- I am currently trying to test the connection with the gateway in the closet before I buy an expensive router
I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Any helpful suggestions are much appreciated.