LurkerLee's profile

Contributor

• 

123 Messages

Sunday, September 27th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Help connecting smart plugs

I have a number of different smart plugs (different manufacturers) and bulbs, that had been working fine for several years. Most were installed using my older 2.4 router. Now I have the newer one (arris TG1682G). Originally all of the plugs transitioned over just fine with the new router, since I kept the same name/pwd, but recently one plug started acting up and when I tried to reset and reconnect, it would no longer connect to the manufacturer's app. Then I tried to add two new smart bulbs (different manufacturer) and nothing I could do could get them connected, even using the AP mode. I know that the smart devices need to be added to a 2.4 wifi, and once added should work on a 5, but I can't get that far!  I've had people on one help group tell me that I need to somehow set my router to 2.4 long enough to register the devices and have had others tell me that no, the smart device will automatically connect to the right band. (That seems to be true since I also bought some new plugs from yet another manufacturer that require 2.4 and their app automatically worked within a few seconds).

Anyhow... HELP. If I need to somehow force channels(bands? whatever) to switch, can someone point me towards a step by step instructions? (And how to get back to "normal" afterwards). I have never tinkered with my router, other than to periodically power cycle it (and no, that didn't help either).

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

4 years ago

The two WiFi bands have recently been combined into one with the Comcast gateway devices. Some devices get confused and don't know how to see / talk to combined bands.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Associate the devices with the 2.4 band's SSID (broadcast name) and password.

Contributor

• 

123 Messages

4 years ago

Rather than dealing with separate passwords etc, is it possible to temporarily disable the 5 GHz band long enough to set up the devices and then re-enable it? My existing smart devices from the same manufacturer are working fine with this router, but were originally set up on my old one. (Admittedly, I haven't had enough coffee this morning to try any of this since it's rather daunting to me). Thanks for the help!!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@LurkerLee I was wondering if you managed to find a solution for this. Thanks!

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

@Magrevi 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.  9 month old dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

4 years ago

I don't have a Comcast supplied device, nor am I an employee. I have read here that it was possible.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here