U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 17th, 2022 4:45 PM

Closed

Hackers and tormentors

My home internet with Xfinity has been hacked and the people doing it have been tormenting me and my family. They are constantly reset ing all my account passwords to comcast Xfinity personal sites social media and banking. It's not enough for them to just steal they have to irritate me by doing little things like constantly resetting the page as I'm resetting my passwords. I know they have control of the home router and even my iPhone. I've been told  and seen evidence of spyware/adaware on my iPhone even thought the apple store said it was impossible. I've delt with hackers before and what makes this different is that it seems personal to them and the level of acccess they have. Can you please help me with this. Either monitor my network or run test to scan the router for me? Everything I try get shut down or times out or they do something else to prevent me from even checking. Thanks

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

@user_4469e9 

We sincerely apologize you have been experiencing Internet security concerns. If you feel like you or someone you know has been the victim of an online security issue, please let us know via the resources and forms found here: https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

2 years ago

@user_4469e9 

Also,  you might want to notify either your local police department or the FBI because what they're doing is illegal especially if they tampered with your banking information.  And, make sure you contact your bank with information so that they can be on alert to any unusual activity in your account.  As far as your computer goes, you need to set up a firewall and you need to get a good anti-virus program and run it on your computer while you are disconnected from the internet; it may take a while to run so let it do its thing.  If you have a PC with Windows it comes with a great firewall and a decent anti-virus program.  And there is even Ransomware protection that you probably should turn on.  Also, make sure your computer is up-to-date with all its updates from Microsoft.  Your router needs a very strong password that's not your kids/dog-cat/any family members name.  Take a look here to read about strong passwords.

Please keep us informed as to what is happening so that we will know in the future how to take care of situations like this.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@Again​  we already have I even filed at AG level. But when u got political hacks going on we are just bottom of the list. We pay a lots of money for Wi-Fi n phone services they need to start taking responsibility for 3rd party stuff that we have no choice over. 
mine thing I have learned is we al depend on technology for our personal stuff. I have went back to pay in person or write a check. I will never ever put any financial stuff on my devices again. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

We been dealing with the same thing and we are not the my ones seeing many that been dealing. Our Wi-Fi devices stuck in remote network workstation our phones as developers mode. No matter how many times we have reset , wiped, bought new devices it just comes back.  we have been with Xfinity since they were TCI cable and Verizon since flip phones. Have never had such a negative experience with both ever and no help only just a bigger bill !!! But they sure in it when u don't pay on time for ur simple just trying to figure out [Edited: "Language"] is going on n why data being maxed out when we can not even use. Just know it is remote believe it hack through cell tower n some geo fence. Our phones stuck in developers mode. What th some Apache open source OS system. VZ blames Xfinity n visa versa. This has ruined our lives in many ways. [Edited: "Solicitation"]. It's pretty bad when u watch ur whole life get uploaded to some cloud u don't know anything about n then ur fingerprints. So sorry to hear this late but seems we are not only ones . 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Donedonedone234567 You won't get anywhere with a lawsuit.  The ISP provided connectivity, their gig is done and the service was provided.  Phone exploits?  Well, android had 4 bad ones last year, apple had two this year.  I'd guess nobody is done with exploits any time soon.  In data breach cases where a company actually loses private information, that comes down to "here's a Denny's coupon, and a discount for credit monitoring for a year".   That's the way the court system goes.

For the criminal part of it, an AG won't investigate for a consumer.  A business that can track and log who's doing it, if they spoon feed a DA with logs, a DA might prosecute IF it's in the USA, but the DA isn't going to collect the data and they have no resources to do it.

If your phones are actually rootkitted, you have to swap those.  There's a boot rom that is flashed and recovery/virus/kit removers aren't going to get you back to factory.  They're compromised. You're not changing that without reprogramming it.  Verizon store might be able to reflash it if they have the equipment, but you'll want different hardware ID's on the device after it's compromised (your phone is probably cloned too) and they can't legally/won't do that, so swapping it out is the way to go.  That goes for all cell phone enabled devices.  Don't reconnect them to your compromised network until your network is secure or you may just reinfect them.

If you are going to 'sanitize' your network, this is an all or nothing process, not one device at a time.  Everything off.  Reformatting all drives including blowing away diagnostic and recovery partitions.  You might have to buy software again depending on the OEM version (windows).  Other devices/IOT/camera/outlets/printer/streaming gear are special cases.  Perhaps recoverable, perhaps they are untrusted garbage now.  It depends on the hardware. 

One thing is for sure though, if you have to control or configure it with a "Phone App", it's junk.  Don't buy it.  Don't use it.  (yes Xfinity, app enabled equipment too).  The phone is the least secure device you own and now your app is talking to an unknown server with unknown security you can't audit, quite possibly in another country.  Same goes for cloud storage/backup "Anything".  If you aren't controlling your ones and zeros, someone else is, and always remember that YOU are the product.  Local control for everything from now on.

Advice is cheap, but doing it right isn't.  Neither is losing everything you have financially, which is what can happen.  If you aren't comfortable installing OS software, and setting up a secure network with a firewall appliance, you can contract someone to do it.  Rates will go anywhere from $100-175/hour depending on your market.  You'll be buying firewall and WiFi equipment too.  I'd look for local security contractors and independents on linkedin.  There is no remote web company or service that can do this for you.  It's a local "hands on" operation.  They can also preload equipment for you, network it, and you just take it home.  There will be a learning curve on your part too. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same issue here gone through multiple multiple factory resets, new modems, then h had a tech bring a new modem, still have unknown devices logging into my router.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_666a0c​  A real common source of "unknown devices" is the MoCA capability on Xfinity gateways.  Remember the old skool days of stealing cable?  You'd just run a line to your neighbors house or patch yourself in, then use the TV tuner for basic cable?

Well, in 2022 the same thing applies with internet, and your neighbors may not even be aware they're doing it.  MoCA is just internet over coax.  You can get a cheap MoCA to Ethernet adapter, and likely be able to tap into someone's network nearby using the coax in their own house.  The signal propagates quite a distance down the line and out into the street.  To secure and isolate your network, you can try shutting the feature off on your gateway:  https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/disabling-moca-again-again/602db0a6c5375f08cd3529b6 but you'll find if there is an MoCA device on the line, it will turn itself back on. 

To fix the problem, you need an MoCA point of entry filter.  It's installed where the cable comes into your house, or if you don't use any MoCA devices or set top TV boxes, it can go right on the back of your gateway.  They cost less than $10 (amazon, new egg, wherever).  Xfinity should have installed one, but likely did not.  Otherwise, you are running an open network.

A better fix is buying your own gateway that does not have the feature, or Xfinity's "hot spot" capability for other users to use your Wireless connection.  Users on that are supposed to be isolated from your network, and you can't see people using it, but it's using shared memory, slowing YOUR bandwidth down, and it's a potential security problem you don't need.

Every security issue is one zero day exploit away from occurring.  You do your best to reduce the odds.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Same here

xfininity hacked

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@user_2b3efb​ 

Same here

xfinity hacked

Please read the post above yours.  @flatlander3 has some really good information there.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Same here

iphone hacked and tracking 

Miya also a hidden network in my home

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_2b3efb​  The 'hidden wifi' -- another Xfinity.....feature.  You can find that with a WiFi scanner or any Linux box.

That's for their home security systems.  No, you can't shut it off on their gear either.  Same advice applies.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

The same thing has happened to me, the hackers have even accessed my _landline_ (service provided through Xfinity) and have managed to completely wipe out my bank accounts. Xfinity is doing nothing to help. I hope you get some answers, and that xfinity sees this and does something about it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here