U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, January 12th, 2024 1:41 AM

Closed

Guest Network

This has been asked before, but I can't find a recent post. It is my understanding that Xfinity does not offer the ability to establish a guest network. This has brought me to the point of canceling the service and going with Frontier (cheaper and faster anyway). So, before going though that hassle, is there anyway to do this within the Xfinity world? Can I just hang an old wifi router I have off the cable modem and start a completely different network? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

8 months ago

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_1c503e! At this time, there is not a way to set up a guest network using our rental equipment. Although, as EG mentioned you can set the rental gateway in bridge mode and set up a router or purchasing your own equipment that offers guest networking features. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityAldrik​ Thanks for making this clear. 

Since there is no option for a guest network, what does Xfinity recommend to secure the network other than chains the password every time our guests leave? 

If there is no solution, does Xfinity offer a modem only? Downgrading the $15/month wifi router to a modem seems a high price.

I assume the three Xfinity pod extenders I purchased will not work with the router in bridge mode?

This is disappointing.

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

8 months ago

Sure. But be sure to put the rental gateway into bridge mode.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode 

Or get your own equipment and stop paying the monthly rental fee altogether.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thank you. So far this is the most workable solution. But, we just had Frontier bring fiber optic to our neighborhood. I checked and while it is more Ala carte for the services (security for example) they offer an eeros wifi router for free and all in, it is faster and a bit cheaper. Just trying to avoid the hassle of chaining, but might be the only option.

Retired Employee

• 

729 Messages

@user_1c053e At the moment, we do not offer a standalone modem option. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

That’s unfortunate. Paying the rental fee for a high-end wireless modem/router that 8 have to dumb down to connect to a wireless router I have to buy, just to create a guest network to keep my data secure, is inefficient.  If someone at Xfinity could pass on this customer feedback, I would be greatly appreciative. As much as I dislike the idea of switching, I don’t seem to have any other choice to get the security I desire. 

Before I do, are there any other options for keeping guests using my network outside my data? 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

Windows 10 has a option to configure a guest network, there are several different options I have used in the past, the XFINITY suggestion, I just gave a simple outline about it, if someone is clever, it can be configured in a productive way….

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

8 months ago

If your creative and think outside the box, a lot of things can have a workaround, for example, your account, you can add I believe 6 or 7 ‘users’, each individual user would have a unique login for the  secure XFINITY hotspot, you can set their access, so the lowest level they have access to all the hotspots across the country, plus they can stream any tv channels you subscribe to or the free content Comcast offers, so this could be setup as a temporary account as a need be basis, rotate the password etc, i believe 3 people can access each account at the same time with correct credentials, personally I find this better then a basic guest account, of course it all depends on who your want to give access too..

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Interesting idea, but then I need to check on who is using the service at any given time to make sure I have access. Also, Once the 6 are set, I have to start resetting them so I can give out access to new guests. Not workable.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

8 months ago

You have the master account name, so you always have access, my suggestion is for a occasional trusted guest, I don’t know how many guests you plan to host at a given time, if several I would go a different option, I would never give out all 6, that’s not what they are designed for, just a simple work around when in a pinch…

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

@Jlavaseur This is a great suggestion and amazing way to think outside the box! We appreciate you helping out our Forums users.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here