tthumper85's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, June 18th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Google Nest WiFi router and points

I currently have the xfinity unit that has the modem and  router all in one unit. I want to get the Google Nest router and points for the house. Do I need to get a new xfinity unit that is a modem only? Can I buy a 3rd party router so I don't have to pay the monthly equipment rental fee or are 3rd party routers not compatible with this setup? 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Just place the Comcast gateway device into bridge mode so that it acts only as a straight cable modem. Here's how;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Then connect the Google main router to it with an ethernet cable to ethernet port number 1.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

This did not work for me. I have an old Xfinity voice/data modem, model TC8305C. I enabled Bridge Mode using the Admin Tool. The Google Nest Router was connected via ethernet cable to port 1 on the Xfinity device. After multiple resets of the modem and Google device, I could not get a connection. Also tried this on the other three ethernet ports to no avail. Would I be better off purchasing a Docsis3.1 voice/data modem to replace the Xfinity device to see if that would work?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@MLG999 I just went through a day of hell after switching my Comcast router into bridging mode. Google nest router flashed yellow (cannot see internet). Many many restarts of Google wifi network, nest router, Comcast router, in all permutations, still no luck. Tried to connect to Comcast router to take it out of bridge mode but could not connect at all, not even via Ethernet cable - bizarre. Comcast support took it out of bridge mode for me, once I finally got a human after a very frustrating battle with their support robot.

I only attempted bridge mode because sometimes (once a day or two) Google nest network falls over and Google support told me to put the Comcast router in bridge mode.

Had none of these issues with the older Google wifi router (vs Nest).

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

@user_29a2f5

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (copy your post and paste it there). Thanks. Re-closing this year old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the exact same problem. Would appreciate advice. I've rebooted so many times in so many different ways...

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I replaced my Xfinity modem/ router with a Netgear Nighthawk cable Modem with voice model CM1250V and an Orbi router and satellite. Could not be happier. Have 200mbps service and consistently get that and more via Ethernet or WiFi.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Get an Arris DOCSIS 3.1 Modem.  I bought a T25 since I also have voice. If 3.1 will be the same one Comcast sells

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

7 month old dead thread now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here