Jamci65's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2021 6:00 AM

Closed

Google Nest Wifi can't connect to modem

I have a Arris Surfboard SB8200 and the Google Nest Wifi router.  Following the instructions I can find the router using the Google Home app.  The router then tries to connect to the interenet but can't connect and tells me to restart the modem and router.  I've done this too many times to count.

I had a older version of Google Nest wifi.  I had to turn the power off when I was doing some electrical work.  When I turned the power back on, about an hour later, they would not reconnect.  I thought maybe a power surge had caused a problem.  The modem works fine.  I decided I wanted the newest version of the Google Nest Wifi, bought them and am now having the same problem.

Does anyone have any insight to this problem?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

It may or may not be be related, but I just recovered from a similar problem.

My google wifi mesh was connected via a google nest Wi-Fi router to the xfinity cable modem/router. It worked fine for ~2 months and then one day the google mesh began dropping every 15 minutes or so. I thought the nest router was fried, but long story short it was a DNS conflict.

Google wifi support were very helpful in troubleshooting. in the Google Home App click on wifi, click on the gear icon (settings)  click on advanced settings, click on DNS, set it to custom. Set primary to be 8.8.8.8, secondary to be 8.8.4.4. Ignore the rest. IMPORTANT - click OK and then CLICK THE FLOPPY DISK ICON (save). 

that worked for me.

I also found this relevant post on google support website: https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/80084035/google-wifi-constantly-losing-connectivity-with-xfinity?hl=en

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here