thibbard's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sat, Dec 26, 2020 6:00 PM

Gigabit internet slowing down my wifi? PLEASE HELP

Good evening all, I have been off and on the phone with comcast for most of today trying to figure out issues with my internet. 

C7000v2 Nighthawk
Testing WIFI through 12 pro max as well as macbook air (2013)
Testing on a 5g network less than 5 feet from modem. 

At around 9 AM I called to upgrade from 250mbps to gigabit internet. at this time my router was getting ~230-260 down and 4-6 up basically what was advertised. I upgraded and restarted my router to see no changes in either speeds. 

At around 11AM I called and they said that they had failed to "update" my modem to accept the gigabit internet but did let me know that my router will only handle up to 860. that's fine i'm not worried the difference between 860 and 1000 for what I do. I primarily wanted the upload speed anyway. So they updated my modem and said it would take about an hour to take affect. I tested again to see marginally better up to 270-280 down but still 4-6 up. 

I just called again now at 9PM and the CSR said that becuase my modem is only rated to 860 that comcast is "overloading" my modem and making it malfuction. I've been pretty invoved in tech my entire life and i've never heard of anything like this espcially of a decently reviewed modem/router combo. 

Is this something that is common? Is the CSR just illinformed and I should try another one? 

I understand that wifi will have a lesser speed than wired but I should obviously be getting better than 1/4 of paid for speeds. 

Thank you for your help. 

Responses

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 m ago

Your modem isn’t compatible with Gig speeds. Usually when that happens it will default to a lower speed. Either upgrade your modem or downgrade your speeds.
ComcastRob

Official Employee

• 

271 Messages

6 m ago

Hi there! I'd be glad to ensure that this gets looked into further. Please click on my handle (ComcastRob) and send a private message with your name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, and any pertinent details-- like the ticket number(s)-- so we can help.  @CCAndrew

New to the Community?

Start Here