U

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2024 5:52 PM

Getting WiFi into Metal Barn

I'm trying to get WiFi into my metal barn/workshop. Currently if you stand just outside or in the open doorways the signal is perfect so it isn't an issue for the main router. Running a cable to the barn is out of the question and a point to point system would likely be overkill due to the short distance between the house and barn. What I am having trouble finding is any kind of repeater or extender with either a detachable antenna or an outdoor antenna and indoor access point. The very few that I have found have been expensive and I was not able to find any info on compatibility with the Xfinity router I currently have. If anyone has found equipment that works or has recommendations I would appreciate it.

Official Employee

• 

281 Messages

14 days ago

WiFi signal works in a wave, think of a dandelion blowing in the wind. If there are any blockades in the way; thick building materials like adobe walls, fish tanks filled with water, the reflective surface of a mirror, a bookshelf filled with books creating a thick insulation that is hard to get through, and metal is one of those materials that wifi cannot flow through. Placing another router inside of the structure would be a way that the signal can be within it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here