P

Saturday, August 10th, 2024 11:31 PM

Getting lag spikes while gaming.

I am using the Xfinity Arris TG4482A modem with a Netgear Nighthawk wireless mesh router system. For months this combo worked great. Then, about a week ago, all of the sudden, I started to get lag spikes that were more noticeable while gaming. These spikes are happening to the point that multiplayer games are sometimes unplayable. The spikes happened with both wifi and ethernet connected devices. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day, the spikes still happen anytime. I have tried power cycling the modem, router and the satellites multiple times with no luck. I have tried changing the modem to "Bridge Mode" and this only made the internet randomly cut out along with the lag spikes. I have the router plugged into the first port so that shouldn't be the issue for the loss of internet connection. After all of this, I contacted Support and the Support technician ran through all of these same troubleshooting steps. However, this time we tried turning off the router and only connecting to the modem. This actually did work. The lag spikes went away. The problem is that I need my Netgear wireless mesh system going to have better wifi coverage in my house. The wifi, from the modem only does, not work as well. The Support Technician pretty much implied that it wasn't an issue with the modem and offered to send out a technician. I declined because I wasn't sure if I would be charged for that plus, I wanted to do a little more troubleshooting. I happened to have another brand new, never used Netgear Nighthawk wireless mesh router of the same model, that I wanted to try. I powered off all the equipment and setup the new Netgear router. Then, I powered on the modem and all the satellites. Tried a game and.... same issue, lag spikes and disconnects. I even tried powering off all the satellites to make sure those weren't the problem but still the same issues. I power cycled everything a few more times, powering on the modem first, and still the same issues. I then found that the splitter outside can sometimes cause this issue when it's old so I replaced the cable splitter with a brand new one but that didn't help. I then tried swapping the patch cable from the modem to the router and still the same issue. I also made sure the coaxial cable was tight on the modem and the wall and it was.  I then decided to disable "Bridge Mode" and this helped with the disconnects but the lag spikes are still there. I then verified that the modem alone does not have lag spikes and sure enough, no lag spikes when connecting directly to the modem. Again, I need to be able to use my wireless mesh system though. I wanted to check here to see if this modem has any known issues. I really feel like it's the modem and I'd like to swap it out. It's almost like it's overloading when I connect the router to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 month ago

Good afternoon @Peractin, and thank you for reaching out to our dedicated Communities team, we appreciate your time and providing us with all the details regarding what has been happening with your service and equipment. There are no known issues that we are aware of with the Arris TG4482A modem. Our equipment does work best with XFINITY equipment and we do offer WiFi extenders to help enhance your coverage. Our WiFi Boost pods work with our gateway to extend your WiFi network, and help eliminate dead spots for more consistent coverage. Additionally, they are now enhanced for better performance and 2x faster speeds than our last generation. For more information, I have included the following link https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod. No pressure or anything, just something to maybe think about. 

If you would like to stick with your current setup though, we can try sending out one of our dedicated technicians to investigate your connection issues further. I understand the concern about not wanting to be charged but if the issue is with our equipment or outside the home, there is no tech fee. Please let us know if you have any additional questions as we want to do our best to help resolve your concerns. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here