U

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, October 14th, 2021 6:52 AM

Closed

Frequent disconnect at night

For the past 2 weeks I have experienced frequent disconnects at night and into early morning. Connection seems stable during the day with great download speeds. Around 9pm will loose internet frequently  for several minutes.  Even when use is minimal in the middle of the night I can see our security system logs switch to cellular backup periodically throughout the night. I replaced the xFi modem today because it was a couple years old and did not support the download speeds on our plan. Replaced with Netgear 2050v.  The same issue continues to happen however. I was not able to resolve with Xfinity support via chat. I wonder if the issue is the signal coming into the house.  TV tends to work fine but I have noticed some on-demand content is very pixilated at times. Tried to get technician to come out but Xfinity canceled the appointment since internet was working well in the middle of the day. Feeling a bit stuck. Appreciate any advice.

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1 

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Are these WiFi connections ?

(edited)

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the reply EG.  I’ve posted screenshots of the stats.  There are WiFi connections. I have an orbi mesh router attached. WiFi signal seems good

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

The outages always happen at night and early morning. Everything works great throughout the day.

I don’t know if it’s crazy or just a coincidence but noticed problem when the temperature started getting cooler at night. I don’t know if maybe there a loose connection somewhere outside.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

'm having same issues as well as far as i can tell the same issue has happened in my area for several years now ..i'm not saying this could be you but any advice an suggestions i can give ya to help out you i will try ... it seems like its happening on xfinity's side ...Us customers receives the internet service through their company routers ...which is to us customers its known as the DNS servers ...u can see this info  all you have to do is by going to google serch an type  trace my ip an it will give you a webpage of your ip an the local area server  ...also since you bought a Netgear 2050v  make sure it has  docsis 3.1 thats the newest software for modems/routers today.  

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@ConcernedCustomer

thanks for the response. I just got off the phone with xfinity “advanced support”. They called in response to booking a tech visit. I was told there were a number of unplanned outages in my area and this was the reason for the interruptions.  I wasn’t able to get any specifics as to why this was happening. Mostly the support advisor recommended there was no need for a visit and everything should work normally. Hopefully it’s just a temporary hiccup?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

don't let them do it because if they dont find anything wrong on your end they will charge you a 100 doller fee ...

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Despite the call from someone claiming to be from  “advanced support” reassuring me that the problem was resolved forever the internet cut out again at 9pm. Can almost set a clock by it. Spoke to a helpful Xfinity support guy tonight by telephone who ran some diagnostics remotely and said the signal strength appears to be inadequate and has set up another tech visit.

Everytime I have contacted support they recommended a tech come evaluate. And each time we set up an appointment I get a phone call from Xfinity support just before the visit from someone insisting the problem has been fixed and a tech visit is unnecessary and they continue to spew non-specific jargon until I agree to cancel the visit. So far it seems the purpose of these calls from Xfinity is not to try to resolve the customer issue but simply to have the customer agree to cancel the tech appointment.  I’m not certain the person who calls has any technical knowledge or training, they won’t give any specifics or solutions. As soon as I agree to cancel the visit the phone call is done.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

My fellow customer brothers ....your not gonna believe what i have just discovered from all of these isses from our internet provoder ...since they wont tell  us why ..these innteruptions has been caused by them ....xfinity/comcast has been causung the problem all along ...their testing out  new features / protocols  i get all the proof from my xfinity modem an the logs  says an i quote ( Name resolution for the name doh.xfinity.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.)   the doh in the name resolution  DNS over HTTPS (DoH) is a protocol for performing remote Domain Name System (DNS) resolution via the HTTPS protocol....

What is DoH Internet?
DNS over HTTPS (DoH) is a  relatively new protocol that encrypts domain name system traffic by passing DNS queries through a Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure encrypted session. ... DoH works similarly to DNS, but HTTPS sessions keep the requests and minimize the information exchanged during queries..... 
So xfinity ...Um  why are you doing this ???    are you getting things ready for windows 11 features ??  just like the rest of the computer compnants companies are doing like AMD  an Intel are doing hm??

to be  honest i could care less what they are doing but the main point is i am sick an tired of them innterupting my service 6 or more times a week ..like i said i could understand of they was doing this once a wekk or once a month but 6 times a week ??  seriously ??  come on now?? 

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

@user_f869c3 

Regardless of anything else, this needs to be addressed. The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.

Also check the coax cable for any damage such as cuts, nicks, kinks, sharp bends, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two-way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street / pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Good luck with it !

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@EG 

Thanks for the advice. We moved into the house in spring of 2020 right when the Covid lockdowns hit. One of the kids was sick the day Xfinity came to help set up the cable/internet so we had him stay outside the house and I tried to do install myself. The previous owners used dish network/at&t. After a bunch of trial and error I found a cable in the media closet inside that was carrying the cable signal. I used a single splitter the tech gave me to split between the tv and the modem. I don’t think there are any other splitters upstream from this. The cables look to be in good shape.

I’m hopeful will find the source of the signal loss when the tech comes this Sunday. I feel like an idiot for agreeing twice now to cancel the tech visits when the Xfinity “support” calls and requests to cancel the appointment. This time will insist we keep the appointment.

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_f869c3

Good luck with it ! Please post back with how things turn out. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Tech came out today. Was during a time when everything working well. He checked the connections and replaced the splitters. Said signal strength looked ok.

He recommended replacing the modem if issue persisted. I have already replaced it once in hopes of fixing this but didn’t help. The next step he said was to request Xfinity  maintenance come replace the tap outside the house.

Internet cuts out again frequently starting at 9pm again tonight. Nothing improved after the visit. I guess the next step is to call support again tomorrow and see if can get someone to look at the tap?

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_f869c3

Yes. Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

My wife called support yesterday morning and they mentioned maintenance was already in our area. She saw a crew near our house. Not sure if the techs dispatched them, or someone else was having similar problems, but they came the day after the tech visit.

Didn’t have any issues last night for the first time in a few days. Hopefully that was the fix. Seems to have been something “upstream” from the house.  Will report if continues to go well through the week.

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Haven’t had any issues for several days. Our next door neighbors were also having lots of internet problems the past few weeks. Whatever Xfinity maintenance did seemed to have fixed the problem in our area. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_f869c3

Current signal stats as requested earlier ? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here