U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2024 1:57 PM

Closed

Firmware update for arris G34 and G36 modem/routers

Does anyone know when Xfinity will be pushing the firmware updates for the Arris G34 and G36 modem/routers (AR01.04 to AR01.05)?  Apparently, this firmware update was released to the ISPs back in November 2023 but hasn't made it to the street yet.  This update was supposed to fix (hopefully) intermittent connectivity issues with these devices for customers who have Xfinity as their ISP.

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

860 Messages

1 month ago

I am closing this thread as the firmware update is being pushed out and the OP hasn't responded since March.

These updates are not done all at once in case something goes wrong. Our engineering teams test these firmware updates as much as they can, but there is no way they can catch everything. Additionally, there may be other factors causing intermittent drops in service.

If you are having an issue with your internet still, please create a new post with as much detail as you can about what is going on, how long it has been happening, and what troubleshooting steps have been taken. Thank you, everyone!

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

6 months ago

Hello @user_378fb9! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our team on Forums. I'd be happy to assist you with your intermittent connectivity issues that you are experiencing. Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

It's not an individual problem, the Arris G36 is not compatible with Xfinity because Xfinity has failed to issue the firmware updates.

2 Messages

I think we have to do a lawsuit against them because this is for advertisement we're not getting the proper speed that we paying for 

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

6 months ago

There are several threads on this issue.  The bottom line is Xfinity has no clue.  They will tell you to contact Arris and Arris will tell you it's up to Xfinity.  Some users have reported they recieved the update.  Xfinity will also tell you to reboot your device and/or set it back to factory settings.  Both actions do nothing.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thanks, Petek01.  I've seen the same things you mention.  I've read where Arris releases the update to the ISPs who in turn will test the update to ensure no issues, then they would release the update.  That makes sense to me which would seem to indicate that Xfinity would be responsible for the final release to the field; not Arris.  And, yes, I've tried reboot/reset and no change.  Frustrating.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

So odd that we get nothing but silence from Xfinity on this. Arris is a well-established modem manufacturer. It's provided Xfinity-compatible modems for years. Arris says the G36 meets Xfinity specs. It's unlikely that it can't pass whatever testing needs to be done. 

I think Xfinity simply lost the firmware updates and nobody's remembered to do the testing and release. Or, could be this is Xfinity's first move to drive all customers to rent the Xfinity modems.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Very frustrating, since they say the Arris G36 was compatible when I upgraded my speed.  I have had to reset the modem numerous times. Should've spent the extra money and got the Netgear or whatever the other one was or just kept my old speed and router. And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it were Xfinity trying to drive the customer to their products. 

4 Messages

6 months ago

I have had DAILY connectivity issues with my Arris G36 - extremely frustrating getting booted out of XBOX LIVE games multiple times every day!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@user_j09vai Hello there! Thanks for reaching out to us on our forums. I'm sorry for the daily interruptions. I know having a spotty connection can make for a real headache. Even if it's once in a while my kids will give us attitude about it. I'm sure it occurring daily would cause a war in my home. If the interruptions are linked specifically to the firmware needing to be updated, you can try to restart your modem. I can also try to help investigate to ensure it's not a signal issue. Do you notice if resetting the modem resolves the interruption for a some time?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

Since getting my arris G36 it seems I’ve been using a lot more internet data! I’ve never gotten alerts saying I’ve used 90% of my monthly data and I have the same devices I’ve always had until I switched and bought my arris G36 a few months ago 

(edited)

4 Messages

@XfinityPaula​  Yes, resetting often helps for a few hours of uninterrupted gaming.  But then it all happens again --  over and over.  Unless this is fixed, Xfinity is going to lose customers...

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@user_j09vai I know it's an expensive device and being approved it should work flawlessly. I am looking for details on the device and for any known issues, but I'm not seeing them. I was able to locate this reddit post from some time ago. But I have not found an update to it. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

XfinityPaula, you're not dealing with a bunch of suburban moms here. Please don't talk down to use about rebooting and resetting. Of course we've all done that, dozens of times.

(Apparently Xfinity customer training now urges agents to include personal anecdotes to show empathy for the customer's problem while they copy advice from a bot. I find this to be even more enraging. Sorry for your kids and their interrupted streaming, XfinityPaula.)

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

Why doesn't Xfinity just push the [Edited: "Language"] firmware update to all G36 modem/routers? Mine also is stuck at AR01.04 and restarts don't help.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

Of course restarts don't help, the update is not in the chutes.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

5 months ago

Another Arris G36 modem owner here!

The answer to the OP's question is

NOBODY KNOWS

I've wasted hundreds of hours on this. Xfinity simply will not issue the firmware updates. They want you to rent an Xfinity gateway instead.

Meanwhile:

I hope that prospective buyers of Arris G36 modems see the many, many complaints about Xfinity's inaction on this.

1 Message

Currently I am looking for a new ISP  as the issue has seemingly be un-addressable by Xfinity  and I am not intending to rent a cable modem from them to receive a service they are already charging me for. does it make sense to pay for internet service at a premium price but cannot use it without their equipment at the fee they charge they should provide the cable modem instead if the streaming box

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @user_bz39vw, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the ISP, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address.

To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

5 months ago

Calling or chatting with Xfinity support will get you nowhere but endless directions to restart your modem. I've wasted countless hours on this.

[Edited: "Solicitation"]

Arris management has urged the Xfinity technical department to release the updates, insisting that their hardware is compliant with Xfinity's specs. Arris is a very well-established modem manufacturer (they make some of the Xfinity modems). I trust Arris's statements about their hardware over anything Xfinity says.

My theory is that Xfinity won't do anything to fix this technical issue until they see it's costing them money. [Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@DirtyDeal Thank you for your feedback. Our Engineering Team is aware of the issues and is working with Arris so that we can ensure that this modem works to its full potential with no connection issues. In the meantime, if a different modem can be used we recommend that as a workaround while this is being investigated.

8 Messages

Your "Team" had the firmware in November. This issue is unacceptable, and the behavior of Xfinity regarding it has been even worse. People buy their own modems for a good reason. Now you guys are trying to force us to upgrade or rent when there's no actual issue except that the team doesn't want to push the firmware update for some reason. It's especially ridiculous for me as there aren't any decent ISP alternatives except fiber, which I can't get in my apartment. My modem works, and meets the specs, but you don't care 1 bit because it will earn the company money. These actions are absolutely disgusting. Go tell your team that.

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

5 months ago

Well, I finally fixed the G36 issue.  I just cancelled my Xfinity internet.  There is finally an alternative in my area.  I now have a 1gb asynchronous fiber connection. It is $30/mo cheaper, I haven't lost a connection in 2 weeks and there are no data caps.  I was with Xfinity/Comcast for over 30 years.  Now, what to do with a 5 month old G36....?

4 Messages

Aren't you using your G36 with tge new ISP? 

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

@Petek01​ A solution that I'm seriously contemplating myself!

Xfinity is the main hardwired provider in my neighborhood in central San Francisco, but we're all just about done with its expense and lack of reliability. We'd prefer cable or fiber internet, but we don't have that option, so many of us are considering a local WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) with a good reputation (and low cost). [Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

8 Messages

I'm in the same boat. Xfinity is literally the only ISP I can use unless I was significantly reduced speeds. I'd LOVE to go with fiber, but my apartment isn't, and likely will never be lined for it.

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

5 months ago

@user_j09vai 

FWIW. The G36 is a coax cable / DOCSIS modem. It can't interface with a fiber (FTTH) feed.

1 Message

4 months ago

Plus 1, internet drops daily 

5 Messages

4 months ago

can we get an update on the no update?

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

@mike_jones99​ thank you for taking time out of your day to reply to this post. Currently, there isn't an eta for a mass firmware push for the modems. I would be happy to further investigate the options our advanced repair experts have with firmware updates, and from experience this great team also partners with our engineer group. When working with these teams, they do like to have individual accounts/equipment from past experience. 

Since I will need to gather some information that we don't want in our public conversation. When you have time, please send a direct message:  

To send a direct message: 

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon in the upper right - it looks like a chat bubble  

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon just to the right of Conversations

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line - do not use the Employee's name!

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address. 

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

With all due respect, contacting Xfinity support about this is simply make-work to placate Xfinity customers. I filed a support request about the firmware update for the Arris G34 in early April and have heard nothing. Zero. Nada.

Pretty obvious that Xfinity doesn't want to deal with this and couldn't care less that you wasted your money on an expensive Arris gateway because Xfinity itself recommended it.

It's not credible that Arris, a longstanding modem manufacturer that supplies some of Xfinity's modems, did not make the Arris G34 compatible with Xfinity's system. Xfinity approved it, that's why it's on Xfinity's recommended list.

Since it doesn't want to address the firmware update, Xfinity should give us all free replacement gateway modems that work.

1 Message

3 months ago

I started having the same issues a couple days ago. Looks like I'm going with the Tesla guy if it isn't fixed soon. I've been with xfinity for many years but I don't mind moving on if they won't co-operate.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

3 months ago

No, nobody knows anything about this firmware update. I've had a support ticket in since early April and have heard absolutely nothing.

There are many, many complaints in Xfinity and Arris forums about the performance of the Arris G34 and G36 gateway modems on the Xfinity network. Oddly, Xfinity support knows nothing about this and will have you running around in circles resetting your modem. Maybe the memo hasn't reached Xfinity's technical team either.

Xfinity's failure to to push the November 2023 Arris firmware update has frustrated Arris management as well as cheated those of us who purchased the modems because Xfinity had recommended them.

If I were you, I'd demand a free compatible gateway modem from Xfinity. If they don't provide it, [Edited: "Solicitation"].

(edited)

2 Messages

3 months ago

Has there been any update on when they plan to push the firmware update out? It’s been months and everyone I’ve talked to from Xfinity is clueless. A bit ridiculous, I feel we should get a  free rental equipment in the meantime since Xfinity hasn’t been proactive at all. 

Official Employee

• 

966 Messages

Hello user_3d7lwp as of now we do not have an additional update on the Arris.CommScope G34/G36.  We can refresh/reprovision the modem at any time to assist with any connectivity issues.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

DirtyDeal, Thank you so much for your patience with us. When you had that support ticket opened back in April, was it with us through our forums page?

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

@XfinityGabriel​ What difference does it make? I made complaints on the phone, through chat, through Xitter, through Facebook. Eventually, I went through the Office of Tom Karinshak, which sends email as ComcastCare.

ComcastCare supposedly escalated my complaint to Chuck, purportedly a manager in the support department, who said he would contact the Xfinity technical department to find out what going on with the Arris G36 patch. After some weeks, I contacted ComcastCare again and found that the technical department had not answered their inquiry and nobody knows anything still.

BTW, I told Chuck I had been offered a free free free Xfinity gateway modem by one of their phone support people but I was being charged for the modem anyway. He actually listened to the tape of the phone call and agreed I had been offered a free modem, but that was incorrect and I'd have to pay for it anyway. He gave me an account credit to pay for the Xfinity modem for a year. I'm still out of pocket for the $300 Arris G36 gateway modem.

Official Employee

• 

756 Messages

DirtyDeal Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

3 Messages

3 months ago

I’m personally giving up on the Arris modem. I’m going to Netgear. At least they allow doing your own firmware upgrades. I just got off chat with Xfinity customer service and they said someone needed to come out and look at my equipment and it would be a $100 charge.

Luckily it has been less than 30 days and I can return my router and pick up a different one.

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

@Dynomike75 wrote: I’m going to Netgear. At least they allow doing your own firmware upgrades.

FWIW, that would be incorrect if it's a straight cable modem or a combination modem / router gateway device. The DOCSIS cable modem component of the device still can only be updated by the ISP.

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here