C

Saturday, July 13th, 2024 2:07 AM

Faster upload speed

I recently got an email from Xfinity stating that if I upgraded to a 3.1 DOCSIS modem, I would get faster upload speeds. I’m already using a Motorola MB 8600 which is a 32×8 DOCSIS 3.1 modem capable of this faster speed already. How do I get the faster upload speed?

7 Messages

2 months ago

I just checked the email. I am supposed to get 100 Mbps upload speeds

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

... Motorola MB 8600 ... How do I get the faster upload speed?

The MB8600 is not approved for the new higher upload speeds. See:

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Compatible" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "compatible/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds.

You need one of Comcast's newer rental gateways (XB6, XB7, XB8) or one of the few retail devices shown in the "Next Gen Speed Tier" group with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF.  Also see the Reddit link, which lists the approved devices as well as other requirements for faster upload speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

7 Messages

2 months ago

I certainly understand that they have these “approved” and “recommended” devices but it still doesn’t explain why. If my device is capable of up to 1gbps upload speed because it conforms to the DOCSIS 3.1 standard, why do they choose which devices they will allow to have a higher upload speed? I am not looking for 1 gbps upload speed, just the 100 mbps that my device and their network is capable of. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Cromagnum, We would be happy to assist you. Let us know if you still have questions or concerns. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

7 Messages

@XfinityAngie​ I do not understand how my DOCSIS 3.1 modem can be capable of the 100 mbps upload speed but yet Comcast will not provision my modem for it. I know my modem is not "recommended" but it is capable. Actually my upload speed has decreased from 40 mbps to 20 mbps. So I know I am capable of at least 40, since I was getting it.

7 Messages

This is the response I got from Motorola:

Hi Eric,

Thank you for reaching out to Motorola Home Networking Support. I understand your concern about achieving higher upload speeds with your Motorola MB8600 modem on Xfinity's mid-split network.

Unfortunately, the limitation you're experiencing is due to Xfinity's network configuration. While the Motorola MB8600 is technically capable of handling mid-split frequencies for greater upload speeds, Xfinity restricts the use of these frequencies to their own rental devices. This means that even though your modem is fully compatible with Xfinity's internet service, it won't be able to achieve the higher upload speeds due to this restriction. Unfortunately, at this time, there isn't a firmware upgrade available that can bypass this limitation imposed by Xfinity.

If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Cromagnum Good morning! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and using our platform to ask questions concerning your services. On occasion, we do make adjustments and enhancements to speeds, that don't require customers to enter into a new agreement/contract. It's our way of giving more services to you as the customer without having to spend more money. It's also not required for your personal modem to match your subscription, while we highly recommend that it does, so you get the level of service you are paying for. Additionally, recently, there were some areas that we adjusted speeds that are separate from the Next Gen Speed Enhancements. The below verbiage you will see is an explanation, of why we prefer the recommended. We rely on the manufactures to send the software, hardware, and boot files for the modems. If there are issues in us receiving these, it can make for a frustrating customer experience in getting your modem to update properly with our network. Will your modem have a connection, and will you get internet, Yes. I'd be happy to take a look at your services specifically, to see what bootfile you are running, and confirm if you are in a mid-split area for those enhanced speeds. To get started, can you please send a Direct Message with your name, and service address?  

*Below is a full list of compatible devices. However, we suggest using a device marked “recommended” to ensure the most reliable experience based on performance and compatibility with our Xfinity network. Devices not shown on this list are either incompatible with the Xfinity network or no longer supported by the device
manufacturer.*

Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon at the top of the page (looks like a text bubble)
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

@XfinityKassie​ wrote;

We rely on the manufactures to send the software, hardware, and boot files

Actually, it's the ISP's themselves that code the boot files, not the manufacturers. And they don't "send hardware" either. The hardware is the device itself.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

1 month ago

@Cromagnum 

FWIW, it's not just a matter of a modem "conforming to the "DOCSIS 3.1 standard. The modem has to support (hardware-wise and firmware-wise) their new "mid split" system to be able to deliver their Next Generation speeds properly. Google for 'Comcast mid-split' for more info. And if it's not supported it will default to using an even slower speed configuration file.

7 Messages

@EG​ So if I don't want the "enhanced speeds", can we go back to what was working before? 40 mbps?

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

1 month ago

I'm not sure. I'm not an employee. Comcast is not very transparent about a lot of things..... You'll likely have to get an employee who knows how to reprovision the modem and the data in their backend database. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here