Void_Indigo's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022 10:18 PM

Closed

Factory Reset my Xfinity router to reset admin password

Hi, I need to factory reset my router to reset the admin password. This is the router that Comcast gave me, I don't have any custom hardware for my connection. I have read "You will lose any customized settings" in multiple places... my question is: Will Comcast push my WiFi SSID & password back to the router when it comes back up? Or do I need to go through the Comcast website to do that? Or do I need to contact Comcast to have them do it?

I don't know what Comcast considers "customized settings" and how much I'm expected to reset myself... 

Thanks!

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I believe to reset admin password, you will probably have to reach out to Comcast for that.  I believe the wifi settings and wifi password are managed by Comcast as well.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.5K Messages

2 years ago

There should be a small hole on the back of the gateway. Insert a small pointed object such as a pen tip depress the button and hold it for 10 seconds and release. Be advised this will put the gateway back to default configuration and all your custom settings will be lost. Then set the gateway up as you wish. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

@Jim721​ Thank you for your reply. Again, I know custom settings will be lost... what does Comcast define as "custom settings"? Will they push the SSID back down to the router when it reconnects to Comcast? Because I'm sure the Xfinity website will still know my SSID & password... and if they don't push it back down to the router, then they are out of sync unless I reset them exactly the same. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm out of sync and Comcast can't talk to the router...

Thanks again for any help

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

@Jim721​ Just FYI I finally talked to a human at Comcast and I will need to reset the SSID and password myself, or they will be out of sync. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi there @Void_Indigo. When a factory reset is done, your network name would go back to the original one on that is on the bottom of the modem. Once it has gone through the factory reset, you would need to complete the set up again to setup your Wi-Fi name and password.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am trying to reset my gateway to factory reset.  Xfinity is useless

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@user_68d6eb​ 

You might want to try reading this entire thread so you will know what you need to do.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here