U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, January 9th, 2022 10:28 PM

Closed

Ethernet working but not wifi

I can access Internet via Ethernet port to my Xfinity box, but no WiFi access for devices in range of my router. Tried power cycling and rebooting laptop multiple times and resetting the gateway.

Also, I have a wired Ethernet connection to another room that is connected to an Airport Extreme. I can connect to WiFi on laptops and phones that are close to the Airport, but when am on the side of the house near my Xfinity box, I can no longer connect to WiFi (doesn't see the network). I can walk around the house and the wifi link will connect or disconnect depending on whether I'm in range of the Airport. 

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Update: I solved the problem by accessing something called a Local Admin tool. Steps to correct:

1. I went to part of the house where the wifi was working, opened a browser and went to http://10.0.0.1 and noted that there was a red X next to Wi-Fi (hmm...). 
  2. I clicked the Connection heading on the left column nav bar, which expanded to show sub-pages, then selected the "Wi-Fi" page that appeared 
  3. On the Wi-Fi page (Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi), I saw my wireless network (2.4GHz and 5GHz versions), and clicked EDIT
  4. On the Edit network page (Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi> Edit 2.4GHz), the first setting says "Wireless network," and it was set at "DISABLE" for some reason. I clicked "ENABLE." See screenshot.

That fixed the problem. Couple additional comments:

• I have no idea how it got in this state (it had been working fine for months/years), and I had never used the local admin tool before.  
  • I could not access 10.0.0.1 on my laptop when connected directly with an Ethernet cable, so I'm not sure how I would have fixed the problem if I didn't have the other Airport Extreme router. I may be an exception case because I know my company has super tight security on my laptop (for example, I can't even print wirelessly to my printer).
  • Thanks to XfinityMarcos for helping. As per his suggestion, I pinged for help on the chat line, and got a quick response. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to find a time to troubleshoot until the weekend.

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

We really appreciate the time you spent with us, @user_c918e5! Thank you for providing an update to the community. I am glad we have been able to help. If you ever have questions moving forward, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your loyalty to Comcast is greatly appreciated.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @user_c918e5, thank you for already trying those steps and letting me know what you've done on your end. Those details really help to facilitate a faster resolution for you, which I can only imagine you want pronto. I connect everything through Wi-Fi, so I totally get where you're coming from. Do you by chance have a standalone/personal router connected to your Xfinity modem? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityMarcos Thanks for responding. My setup is:

Ethernet connections out of Xfinity router:
1 - Cable to laptop
2 - Cable to patch panel jack (extension to other room in home)

Other side of my home has an Airport Extreme connected to the Ethernet port in the wall. I don't know if that's technically different than if I had a 50' Ethernet cable connecting the Airport to my Xfinity router. WiFi continues to work fine from the Airport.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@user_c918e5, understood, thank you for detailing that setup. What type of devices are you using to connect to your Wi-Fi network? Are the devices able to find the network name, or does it not show up at all? This is an awesome source for running some Troubleshooting steps on your end to clear up any issues. If you haven't done any of these, that would be a solid place to start.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Here's what happens:

* SSID does not show up at all when on this side of the house. Tried manually entering on my laptop but connection failed.

* SSID shows up when in range of the Airport at the other side of the house.

- All the devices on the other side of the house connect to the SSID; all the devices on this side of the house cannot (e.g., my Alexa)

- When I carry my phone to the other side of the house, it will connect, and then when i go to the side with the Xfinity box, the SSID disappears and the wifi connection is lost. 

I'll look at the 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@user_c918e5, gotcha, thank you for confirming that information. I'd like to take a closer look into your account and help with some more targeted troubleshooting steps. In order to get started can you please send a direct message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Oops, sent by mistake. 

Devices connected on other side of house:

- 1 Amazon Cloud Cam

- 4 Amazon Echo devices 

- 3 Ecobee Thermostats

- Printer

- Currently one laptop and 2 iphones

- Some kind of Texas Instruments device - don't know what that is

- Lutron Smart Bridge

- Roku Express

- Sony TV

Connected on this side of the house (i.e., places where my laptop or phone won't see SSID--contradicts what I said above)

- 1 Ecobee Thermostat

- 1 Amazon Cloud Cam

Not connected on this side of the house

- 2 Amazon Alexas

- iPhone and laptops that are carried over here (will connect when on other side)

I'll look at the troubelshooting

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here