U

Sunday, July 21st, 2024 3:19 AM

Ethernet Ports

Hello,

My WiFi has been cutting out a lot lately, it seems like it's usually around the same time everyday. It also seems to slow down dramatically very randomly, for a couple minutes at a time. I've been through this before with Xfinity WiFi and I don't want to deal with it anymore. Rather than dealing with my WiFi cutting out, I'd like to just plug ethernet cables into my computer(s). I live in an apartment building that was only built within the last year or so. I have ethernet ports in each room of my apartment (labeled Cat5e+) but when I plug my computer into that port, I get no internet. I looked in the box where my router was installed, and there are cables hanging that aren't connected to my router. They are the cables that run to each one of the ethernet ports in my apartment, but it's just raw wire with no ends, so I can't just plug them in. 

My questions are, would an Xfinity tech come out and wire this up for me? After a little bit of research, it seems like I may need a switcher? If I do need this, would I need to get one before the tech comes here, or can he bring one and charge me for it? I'm also not sure if the usual $100 tech charge would cover the cost of wiring this up, or if it'd be more for something like that.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

2 months ago

Good evening @user_ts2274, and thank you for reaching out on our Community Forums with your connection issues, we appreciate your time and are happy to address your concerns further. I'm sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your WiFi cutting out a lot lately and the dramatic slowdowns, I can imagine how frustrating that's been for you. We can definitely get one of our dedicated technicians out to come look at your wiring issues. You're more than welcome to try a switch as well but we don't sell those directly. With regard to the tech fee, the $100 fee applies if the issue is with the inside wiring or any personally owned equipment. If the issue is with our wiring or equipment, there is no charge. Would you like to proceed with trying to get a tech appointment set up or would you like to try a switch first? 

Rest assured, our team is here to help however we can. 

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

2 months ago

You would only need an ethernet switch if the amount of lines to the rooms exceeds the amount of available ethernet ports on your router / gateway device. If you only need one or two rooms to be active, you can just plug that line / those lines into the ports on the gateway. Hire a local low-voltage electrician. They'll know what is needed and will be able to install connectors on those cables for you. Good luck !

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here