U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 4th, 2023 10:19 PM

Closed

Ethernet much slower than the wifi

We have been dealing with this problem for a while. We are on the 1000mbps plan and we are getting 400mbps on wifi and only 90mbps on ethernet. The pc that is hooked up to the router we have taken to the shop recently and everything worked fine and connected to the ethernet just fine. We have also replaced the ethernet cord and updated our router to the newest one and tried all the ethernet ports. Is there something that we are missing?

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

2 years ago

Do you have a combination modem/router (e.g., an Xfinity XB7 or XB8 cable modem & router) or a separate modem and router (e.g., an Arris Surfboard SB33 cable modem and Netgear Orbi router)? What is the rating of the Ethernet cables from the combo modem/router (or from the modem to the router and then from the router to the PC)? All cables should be rated CAT 6 or better. CAT 5e cables may work if they are of good quality (and the cable is not too long). CAT 5 is not likely to work. The rating should be physically stamped or imprinted on the cable itself.

How long are the cables running from the router to the PC? The limit for CAT 6 is technically 100m (~328 ft.), but I personally won't go more than 50 feet without using a switch in the path. Is there anything that might be electrically noisy along the path (e.g., electric heater, fan, refrigerator)?

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Missed something?  Maybe.  Looks like the bot ate a post for @NoGoodNamesLeft4Me , so I apologize if it was suggested, but for the Ethernet connected PC: 

Are you using an anti-virus VPN or other type of anti-virus WebShield/Proxy?  Perhaps switch it off temporarily just for the speed test.  (encryption overhead, more hops to the anti-virus gateway network, load balancing, DNS lookup lag at the anti-virus provider...etc).

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@flatlander3​ no I do not have any of those at all. The cable is brand new and only runs about 30 feet and is a cad 6. Could we have been just sent a faulty modem? Thats what we have it plugged into.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_709390​ Windows can tell you what the link speed currently is:  https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-wi-fi-and-ethernet-connection-speed-windows-10

Hardware does the speed negotiation with test pulses.  It tries fast, but if that gets mangled, it downshifts and tries something else.  Maybe it shifted down to old skool 100Mbps?  That's get you around 90Mbps actual with driver overhead.  Bad ports on the gateway perhaps??

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

That is why we are starting to think the ports are bad because it's not the pc itself. Took it to a shop and it acted fine there and had it already checked out. We are going to call them later to ask.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_709390​ Well, check it out with windows and see what that says.  If it's Xfinity gear, the one with the orange or red stripe is 2.5Gbps, the others are 10/100/1Gbps.

The ports have been known to flake out entirely on XB7/8.  If you happen to have a 1Gbps switch around, you could just plug into that and see if the computer port will do 1Gbps for a test.

Xfinity gear is Yugo of networking equipment.  Lots of folks are currently having issues with the Motorola MB8**** gear right now, so I'd stay clear of it for now and go with something else if you were thinking about using a 3rd party modem and your own router, or one of their gateways.  Whatever you get has to be approved or they won't provision it.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems  You don't have to buy it there, shop around.

Or just swap it out.  Taking to the Xfinity store is the easiest/fastest if there is one by you.  They'll remove the other one, and add the new one so you don't have to try to activate it and deal with their self-activation website -- which may or may not work.  Otherwise, call the 800 number or do it with the support/chat link on https://xfinity.com  Log in there, then on the top left, click on "Internet" under "Your Services". 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I was having the exact same problem. I was getting approx. 60-70 Mbps wired and 600+ Mbps wireless. I have the 1.2 Gbps plan. For the sake of brevity, I'll skip all of the unsuccessful steps I took to troubleshoot the problem (including an Xfinity tech coming to my house and working on the issue for a few hours).

Bottom line: I switched from a Cat 6 cable to a Cat 8 cable, and my speed jumped to 900+ Mbps. Yes, you read that right. From 60-70 to 900+ just by switching the stupid cable! Some will think a Cat 8 cable is overkill but I've been reading bad things about Cat 7 cables. I went with a 3 ft. Ugreen cable from Amazon.

I always overlook the simple fixes since they are usually a waste of time but, in this case, for me anyway, it worked. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here