U

Tuesday, August 13th, 2024 2:24 PM

Ethernet is completely down

I had an XV gateway from 2020. Wi-Fi was working fine, but wired ethernet was intermittently slow. I called Comcast and a technician came out and stated that the cable coming in from the street was damaged and wet. He replaced the entire cable coming into the house. He also removed a splitter. that he said was no longer necessary. I’m assuming that this is because we no longer have separate cable and ethernet.

Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. As a matter fact, the ethernet got a lot worse. Wi-Fi stayed OK. Called Comcast and a second technician came out and replaced the gateway. Unfortunately, after this, the ethernet was completely down.

Then I realized that when the house was built in 2009 and old switch was used which Could not handle gigabit speeds. So I replaced the switch. This brought everything down, wireless and all.

After several hours and several restarts, the wireless finally came back on, but the ethernet continues to be completely down.

I have scoured this forum for solutions, and I know I am not alone.

Suggestions?

2 Messages

1 month ago

To clarify the typo: I have an Xfi gateway

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_gcayje Thanks for reaching out to us about the ethernet connection to the gateway no working even after a replacement. Have you tried a new ethernet cable as well in all the troubleshooting to connect your device directly to your modem. I see you mentioned a switch for multiple ethernet connections in the home. Have to tested using just the gateway with one device as well to confirm the issue is originating at our device? It's always best to start at the gateway, and move out from there to find the problem if it's not the gateway. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here