U

Friday, October 11th, 2024 7:24 PM

Ethernet drops connection whenever I download anything. Requires a hard reset of modem.

I have an XB8 modem with 1GB/S service. Most devices run on Wi-Fi but my PC runs primarily on a hard connect-Ethernet connection. Whenever I download anything, (an application, etc, ) my ethernet cuts out and, while it still delivers Wi-Fi, the ethernet completely drops connection. After this drop it apparently takes approximately 5-10 minutes for the ethernet connection to reappear then immediately drop again. Luckily my PC also has a Wi-Fi connection but the Wi-Fi doesn't deliver nearly as quick of a connection as does a hard ethernet line. I've tried to find the suggested "Direct message" to support that's listed on other threads with no luck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-R. J.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

4 days ago

Thanks for posting on our Community Forums for assistance with your internet connection, user_ml4he8. I'm sorry to hear the ethernet connection is dropping randomly. Is this only happening with this device? Do you have any other devices you can try hardwired to the modem? Have you tried using a different ethernet cable to see if the issue persists? This will help us rule out any faulty wires. 

3 Messages

My PC is the only device that is hooked up to ethernet. It works fine after I restart the router, but only transmits WiFi in the mean time. The connection is fine. The wire itself is fine. It only drops after I start a download. 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 days ago

I've tried to find the suggested "Direct message" to support that's listed on other threads with no luck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Be advised that sending an unrequested direct message to the support team is a violation of their forum guidelines.

Please see this post about direct messaging the support team;

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/getting-started/direct-message/6445fb0eb9339b2013e8ff9c?commentId=6446bf50b9339b2013e93478  

3 Messages

Why? Because I want the thing that I gave comcast money for doesn't work as advertised, and I think requesting customer service from an employee direct isn't unreasonable.

Official Employee

• 

805 Messages

I would like to troubleshoot. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

@user_ml4he8​ 

Why, you ask. Because violating the rules of any forum can get you banned........

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here