D

Wednesday, August 21st, 2024 5:24 AM

ethernet cable blinking green

i wanted to know exactly why my lan cable is blinking green on my modem. its for my playstation and i used to get my ping from 0 to 20 and it was perfect but now its staying at 40 and we pay for the same fast internet. I look it up and it says it means it’s transferring data when it blinks green but idk i just remember it used to blink orange when i used to have it plugged in and my ping was better so im confused. 

Official Employee

• 

537 Messages

28 days ago

@dysfunction01 There are different colored lights on ethernet ports, typically green and amber. Those different colors make the user aware of the transfer speed. Amber lights are commonly the faster transfer speed while the green is the lower. What sort of troubleshooting have you performed with your game device or on the modem? What is the speed test saying? A ping increase of 20 milliseconds should not be that noticeable. Ping over 100ms would be noticeable, especially in a competitive environment. 

3 Messages

@XfinityBradM​ i just tried restarting router, forgot the wifi on my playstation and entered it again, and just kept unplugging it and plugging it back in and it stays green. I know you say it probably wouldnt be noticeable but from 0 to 40 is kind of a difference and i swear it used to be smoother. i just wasnt sure how to fix it idk why it would change 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@dysfunction01  Thanks for letting us know. I would like to ask a few questions, so we can isolate the issue and resolve your connection concerns for you.

Are you plugged into your router or your modem?

Have you tried using a different ethernet cord?

Are you connected to your in home Wi-Fi or a hotspot?

Are you only having this issue with your PlayStation?

Is your router and PlayStation firmware up to date?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

the lan cable is plugged into the xfi router/modem. I just got a new lan cable and its doing this. Im connected to the in home wifi and everything is up to date. 

Official Employee

• 

812 Messages

dysfunction01 thank you for that update, please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to take a closer look at things. 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here