U

Wednesday, August 7th, 2024 5:10 AM

Ethernet and pods

I’m looking for advice on connecting a pod via Ethernet cable to the gateway. 

I have one pod that consistently drops the signal. I would like to connect it via Ethernet to my gateway to have a consistent wifi signal. 

I confirmed with xfinity that my pod hardware is sufficient, however I have seen some comments that say gen one pods aren’t compatible, and certain ports on the gateway aren’t compatible.

I’d like to verify if there is a certain gateway port I should use;

If I can just plug the Ethernet cable into the gateway and then into the affected pod, and it should work? Does it matter if the pod is plugged in to electricity when I connect the Ethernet cable or not?

Thank you

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

Their Gen 1 pods do not support ethernet backhaul. Only their Gen 2 pods do.

(edited)

3 Messages

That’s frustrating, since they specifically told me it would work. Go figure. 
if I buy a gen 2 pod is there anything else I should be aware of, or just plug it in to the Ethernet cable after setting it up in WiFi, and it should work? 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

"Should" is the operative word. Good luck ! Please post back here with how it goes.

3 Messages

1 month ago

I plugged in the new second gen pod and even without the Ethernet cable it worked so much better, but didn’t quite reach the back corner that it needed to. Gen one pod is connecting to it via WiFi and it’s giving me consistent coverage so far with no issues! Had to unplug the second gen from the wall after I connected the Ethernet cord, and plug it back in to get it to swap from wifi to wired, but really no issues with setting it up. Adding the second gen pod to my account did delete the other gen one pods but that’s not really a big deal, was able to re-add the one I needed (and coverage is good enough that I don’t need the other two). Used a cat 6 50ft Ethernet cable. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here