kennethalan's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Nov 25, 2019 6:00 AM

Establishing Network Storage with my xFi Gateway

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Network Storage device to be directly linked with my Modem, the xFi gateway. Through these forums, I have learned that a standard USB port plugged directly into the modem will not be supported. My question is, if I can plug a hard drive into the router using an Ethernet Cable, would that allow for Network Storage? Or will I have to replace my modem to benefit from a Network hard drive.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Responses

lesmikesell

Valued Contributor

• 

527 Messages

2 y ago

The xfinity devices do not support attaching storage devices.  You'll need a small NAS like https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Personal-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00EVVGAFI?th=1.

Personally I just leave my imac on with an external usb drive shared from it.

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

2 y ago

@kennethalan wrote:

Hello,

My question is, if I can plug a hard drive into the router using an Ethernet Cable, would that allow for Network Storage? Or will I have to replace my modem to benefit from a Network hard drive.

The device at the link posted here by others gets plugged into a gateway device / router via ethernet. Is that what you have ? A comcast supplied combo gateway device? I ask because you used the word "modem". 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

My next question. I am not really interested in buying cloud storage if I can avoid it. Instead, what if I bought a third party router like netgear and attached it to my Comcast modem in bridge mode. In this mode, the xFi would continue to function as a modem but the router functions would be connected to the third party router. I would plug in storage to the router, and should be good to go. Would that work?

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

2 y ago

O/k so you can plug an NAS that supports an ethernet connection into one of its ethernet ports.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

I believe so, yes. The xFi that I have is supposed to be an all in one router/modem combo.

lesmikesell

Valued Contributor

• 

527 Messages

2 y ago

@kennethalan wrote:

My next question. I am not really interested in buying cloud storage if I can avoid it. Instead, what if I bought a third party router like netgear and attached it to my Comcast modem in bridge mode. In this mode, the xFi would continue to function as a modem but the router functions would be connected to the third party router. I would plug in storage to the router, and should be good to go. Would that work?

You can get 'some' cloud storage for free - Google drive, google photos, Microsoft one drive, etc. 

And you can put your xFi gateway in bridge mode and use your own router, but you will lose some features like the online view of your connected devices and their usage.  And the ability to use the wireless TV boxes if you have TV service.

You might be able to make it work with some other router converted to 'access point' usage but you would have to know what you were doing to turn of dhcp on the 2nd router and port-forward on the xfinity side to allow outside access.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 m ago

Absolutely, HOWEVER, you need to be very careful about the way you set up your second network device and make sure no one is able to pull a man in the middle attack or any kind of pen attack... I did this so that I can access my storage without buying the same thing someone made from wd for a ridiculous price. You just wanna look upsetting the IP address different if needed make sure to always change your router's basic info right away. But yes I have a second router I use in home for an Intra-net and decided to bring it online by simply making a few adjustments and plugging in the ethernet cable. Now I can access my files via Remote access but through a secured encrypted connection. 

I keep talking about PEN testing or strength of security because I can take my Kali Linux Machine on a Ras Pi and well let's just say there are so many ways to use tools built and rather simple with some knowledge (or youtube) can access your network and start capturing packets. Often useless but sometimes gold to a hacker. 

So yes But I am not a xfi employee I just know from experience. Best wishes!

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

6 m ago

13 month old dead thread now being closed.....

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

If you have an old wifi router.that does support a usb storage device.  Then use it.  There are instruction online how to do it.  When I get my USB SSD  I am going to use my Archer Ac1200 by TP-Link.  I'm going to turn off 2.4 G radio so its only 5G. Illtry to reme.ber to come back and post my success if I do have it

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

2 m ago

16 month old dead thread being re-closed.

New to the Community?

Start Here