U

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, January 18th, 2023 12:44 PM

Closed

EPON Fiber and Routers

Can I use my ASUS router (RT-AC86U) with the EPON Fiber modem?

I need to have my security camera system and desktop PC connection hardwired and wifi for laptops, TVs, phones.

Expert

• 

106.7K Messages

2 years ago

I don't see why not. Just connect the LAN port of the ONT to the WAN port of the router. Depending upon your subscribed to speed tier, the router may not deliver your full speeds.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@EG​ Thanks for the reply!

I was just wondering as I'm scheduled for installation today and since Xfinity says I'm getting this all new "IP technology"

Getting 400mbps plan so if I can still get half that with adding my router that will work for me.

Here's the EPON FAQ.

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.7K Messages

2 years ago

They may try to get you to or require you to rent their proprietary equipment... YMMV... Please post back with how it goes, thanks !

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Well, installer was given wrong address (st instead of ave) so no installation today, rescheduled for next Wed.

Expert

• 

106.7K Messages

2 years ago

@user_a847ea 

Oh brother.... Sorry to hear..

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Well, got a text saying they weren't coming until Feb now. Tried calling and just endless recorded prompts that never let you talk to a real person.

So decided I don't any part of this company right now, told them to delete all my personal info and close my account.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Update: An Xfinity installer showed up to house this week even though I told them to cancel my service/appt. previously. He told me that the order was never canceled.

I decided to go ahead and have the service installed. The installer was experienced, pleasant and answered all my questions before I agreed to the install.

I opted for the 400mbps package. Speeds avg. about 460-470 down and about 12-14 up.

The gateway modem has 3 x cat5 outs and 2 x phone outs.

I hooked up my Asus router after the Xfinity gateway and had no issues with connectivity. Speeds remained just about the same.

Using a VPN speeds dropped about 50% so getting around 225 down and 12 up using a VPN. I tried 3 different VPN services and

speeds didn't vary by more than 15 down between them.

I'm going to have a choice in the near future as another company is installing their fiber throughout the city so I'm glad now I went ahead

and tried Xfinity's EPON fiber service.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here