thomas271's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, January 12th, 2023 8:05 PM

Closed

Email from Comcast - Your internet equipment needs an upgrade?

Anyone else get these emails "Your internet equipment needs an upgrade'? I own my own modem, CM1150V which is DOCSIS 3.1. I'm a little confused as I thought 3.1 is the latest standard? Anyone have experience with these messages? I have a feeling I don't need to upgrade at this point but wanted to ask. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

2 years ago

... "Your internet equipment needs an upgrade' ... CM1150V ...

The usual reason for "upgrade" notices is Comcast's "free" internet speed upgrades. If they have upgraded you beyond the maximum speed your modem/eMTA/gateway can handle, they notify you to upgrade. Check https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices. There it says the CM1150V is approved for Internet plan speeds "Up to 948 Mbps". Unless you were upgraded to Gigabit your device should be fine.

If you have been upgraded to Gigabit then you aren't getting the full benefit of the upgrade. Whether that matters is entirely up to you, although Comcast will probably continue to nag you until you replace your eMTA or reduce your plan speed below Gigabit.

If you were really unlucky your device would be listed on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/docsis-certification, but I do not see it there.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Marketing spam.  It's still in production.  If it works fine, don't mess with it.  It doesn't work out for everyone posting on this board.  Even better if Xfinity can't push a firmware to it and brick it for you.

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@BruceW Thanks for this! I guess I somehow missed that I've been upgraded to "Gigabit Plus" internet. To your point, it probably doesn't matter too much as I'm getting decent speed now but I'll consider looking into if/when it makes sense to replace the current modem to take advantage of it - or to see whether a different package makes more sense. Thanks again. 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@thomas271 Thanks for the update! Sounds like a great plan! Glad to know you're getting great speeds. We are here 24.7 if you need anything else. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

@XfinityKei​ This link https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices thinks I’m using a router that I replaced years ago. Does it matter that this feature seems to be broken? How did xfinity figure out my router model in the first place, and why don’t they check again from time to time…

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

oops my modem is out of sight & I was looking at the router, so that the link is correct after all

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

2 years ago

@BruceW Thanks for the explanation. This link https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices thinks I’m using a router that I replaced years ago. I also wrote a reply that was more frustrated 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I got this message the other day:

Upgrade your TV equipment – at no additional cost

Order your new X1 TV equipment today!

As early as June 6, 2023, your current TV equipment will no longer allow you to access Xfinity On Demand and Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) packages.

Easy next steps

1. Click below to order new TV equipment – at no additional cost – so you can continue to access this content on all your TV boxes.
2. Once your equipment arrives in 5 to 7 business days, activate it by following the included guides or by visiting our online Getting Started guides.
3. Once activated, make sure to return your old equipment that was replaced to avoid unreturned equipment fees.

When I log into Xfinity, it says I do not need an equipment upgrade.  The serial number in the email does not match my equipment.  I can't get any help, but I haven't gone in person.  I guess I'll ignore it and complain if my equipment actually stops working.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

Hi there @user_18a00c, and thank you for posting, and sharing your email. I'd be happy to help with upgrading your device(s). Please send a direct message with your name and service address to "Xfinity Support" by clicking on the "Direct Messaging" chat icon in the top right corner of the page, then click on the pen and pad icon and enter "Xfinity Support" in the "To" section of the chat. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here