U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, March 27th, 2021 8:05 PM

Closed

DOCSIS3.0 works, 3.1 no longer functional

Have had Xfinity 1Gbps service in Tallahassee Florida for almost year now, using a self-activated personal SB8200 receiving a consistent 800Mbps down, 40Mbps up with no problems. About 2 weeks ago the SB8200's blue 3.1 lights changed back to green indicating only connected at 3.0 levels, and my internet speeds dropped significantly for a few days. Then I started having major Internet issues - constant ping -t requests would return positive replies 5 to 10 times in a row, then timeout 2 or 3 times, then another 5 to 10 positives, then timeout 2 or 3 times - very consistent pattern. When I could time a speed test to align with the periods of positive pings, I show download speeds of about 600Mbps and only 6Mbps up, but then 0.

Because I couldn't go w/o internet I tried activating my older DOCSIS 3.0 SB6183 and it works fine - consistent 500Mbps down/5Mbps up, no issues. Tried to re-active the SB8200, same issue as before - up then down then up then down, etc. Had Xfinity Rep come out, tested lines and all was perfect inside and outside the house. Said I should have no problems getting close to 1Gbps, like I had received for the last year with my SB8200. The Rep then said, "you're the 5th person today I've seen who had an SB8200 suddenly go out, same ping issue and everything" and told me that the issues was on the Xfinity side, that "they must have pushed an update that killed your modems" and that until Arris puts out a fix, you're out of luck. He then advised me to buy a Motorola MB8611, and said they're working fine elsewhere in my area.

Fast forward 1 weeks, installed and activated my new MB8611, SAME ISSUE! For a few seconds I can download/upload at great speeds, then nothing. Ping tests shows up then down then up again in a fairly consistent pattern. After 2 more hours on the phone with support activating each of my modems 1 at a time, it is clear that it is an issue with Xfinity - the DOCSIS 3.1 self-owned modems are just not working, but my old 3.0 works fine. We've done factory resets, pushed new boot configs, re-provisioned, etc. - the 3.1's won't come online consistently, yet the 3.0 work fine.

Any suggestions?

Contributor

• 

60 Messages

4 years ago

I feel your pain. I have an 8200 as well. Had 2 techs out in the last week. They told me that the 3.0 channels are great and when it gets to 3.1 the signal "falls off a cliff". Had a line tech come out and "fix" an issue. My upload power levels on all 5 channels shot up to 50. The modem reset and they fell to 42-46. I have to believe it's a software issue and the current boot file is not working well with the 8200. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I'll try the Netgear CM2000 next, but I suspect the issue with with Comcast Xfinity - everything has worked great for a year with my SB8200 until 2 weeks ago; no power surge or issues with lines and now only my 3.0 works, both my 3.1 modems have identical issues. On to the next stage. How do I schedule a line tech to come out?

Contributor

• 

60 Messages

4 years ago

can you tell me what software version you have? Everything was good for me on my 2nd SB8200 until the modem updated to software version AB01.02.053.01_112320_193.0A.NSH. Dropped my upstream power levels and my wired and wireless speed for 200mb each. 

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Hello! I just wanted to follow up with you.  How have your services been working since the recent tech visit? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

@steagallcraig Looks like my SB2800 software is not updated to where you are. I now have a new Netgear CM2000 connected, I am not having any issues with maintaining a solid 3.1 connection - 500-700Mbps down, 42Mbps up. So, per the latest Xfinity tech, they "killed off" the Arris/Motorola self-owned modems in my area with some update they pushed 2 weeks ago, and until they decide to send out the correct boot cfg to them they will continue to have the problems I described - unstable/unusable service. I've talked to 2 neighbors on my street, they all had the same exact issue at the same exact time that I did. Looks like they haven't killed off the Netgear modems yet, however they're clearly being throttled by Xfinity. Prior to this last 2 weeks, for the past year I was consistently getting 800 to 900Mbps down with my SB8200, no issue with my lines at all, and now I'm magically getting 500 to 700Mbps down with a superior modem (CM200) to the Arris SB8200 I had been using for the last year.

@ComcastJason Perhaps you can shed some light on this - Your techs are blaming Xfinity, I contacted Motorola about the issue and they pointed the finger back to Xfinity as well because "Xfinity controls the upgrades to the bridge modems" like the SB8200 and MB8611. There is no reason why a customer should have to pay $20/mo for an xFi device when we're allowed per our contracts to have self-owned equipment.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Did you by any chance activate your cm 2000 with the Xfi app? Because when this other did his cm 2000 worked, but worked poorly, just curious 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am having the same issue with my service in Central New Jersey.  The problems started in early March.  Service was fine since installed in May of 2020.   Service drops/resets several times a day, sometimes for seconds, sometimes for minutes.  I am monitoring by using a ping script and looking at the error logs and connection data on the modem.  Levels are within specs when running, but do fluctuate.  When I see dropped pings, I see 'RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW', 'Dynamic Range Window violation', and 'Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;' messages in the error logs.

My configuration is a  Motorola MB8600 (s/w: 8600-19.3.15; CM certificate: Prod_19.3_d31using the 1000/40Mb package.   Can someone confirm the latest/correct S/W version on the Motorola?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi, @eweisenb_08540! Thanks for using our forums page to reach out for help with the service issues. I am sorry to learn about this experience with the service dropping several times a day. Our team can help. To get started, please create your own public post without your account information. Please provide as many details about your experience as possible. Doing so will auto-open a ticket in our system, and we can assist you in the order your request is received. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@eweisenb_08540 was wondering if you have seen any improvement. I am in south jersey with sb8200 and eero wifi6 and consistently switching back and forth docsis 3.1 and 3.0 and wifi drops connection 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

@kappakp

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.  The original poster hasn't returned. 4 month old dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here