M

Saturday, August 19th, 2023 8:00 AM

Closed

docsis 3.1 - not seeing greater than 40mpbs UPLOAD

so xfinity sends me reminders that i'm not taking advantage of my plan's speed. I signed up for gigabit a few years ago to get the 40mpbs upload after switching to a lower bandwidth plan for a few months that only had 5mbps upload (tried to save money from previous plan before that which was not gigabit and upload was too slow). i had to buy a new cable modem to upgrade the docsis 3,0 i had for many years once i went to gigabit since i needed docsis 3.1 modem for the new plan.

so my current plan is 1200/200 mpbs (increased from my previous gigabit plan of 1gb / 40 mpbs). an additional 200mpbs won't be realized in reality since there are not that many devices and concurrent use, and we don't pay for 4k streaming. but here's the thing - to go over the 1gb mpbs, i'll need a docsis 4.0 which is not yet mainstream. so why am i getting notifications i need to upgrade my modem when docsis 3.1 is the current and mainstream version up to 1gb mpbs?

if increasing bandwidth is the point due to concurrent usage, ok i get that. but it's worded / marketed as "speed" and not as "capacity"

also and if i do have a 200mpbs upload plan, i'm not seeing it as i do tests via xfinity speed test (and speedtest.net) occasionally. i'm not seeing it at all and it doesn't seem to be a docsis 3.1 limitation.even if it says "up to" i should/cloud be getting more than 40 with a 200mpbs plan, rigth? i don't get quite 1gb but i get to about 920-960'ish at night when only i am active in the network. i do my speed testing hardwired on ethernet cat 5e cable and routing is from desktop pc (has 1gb ethernet and 2.5gb ethernet ports, but i only use the 1gb) -> router -> cable modem.

below is what my plan says.

Gigabit Plus Internet Plan

Download speeds: up to 1200 Mbps

Upload speeds: up to 200 Mbps

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

1 year ago

You’re not going to see an increase in upload speed if you’re not on xfi complete and using a xb7 or xb8 modem.

Secondly you don’t need docsis 4.0 to go over 1 gig as 3.1 can handle that just fine. You can’t even get docsis 4.0 as it hasn’t officially been released and is still in testing.

Lastly if your plan works fine for you ignore what Xfinity is telling you. They’re a company that is always trying to make money. They use a lot of fancy marketing jargon to try to get you to upgrade. That’s all. 

6 Messages

@SRTology​, wrong. OP is not getting 200mbps upload speeds simply because his area is not supported for that speed and Comcast obviously didn't tell him about it. xFI won't help here. A lot of people I know including myself are in this situation. I was able to get confirmation from Comcast on the exact root cause, which is - less than 10 cities in the US currently support this speed and I'm pretty sure our OP is not in one of those cities.

xFI will only unlock those speeds for you if you live in a supported area. But even then, you don't have to have xFI as long as your router make and model is in the list of supported devices, so it's just a marketing tool to pull more $ from customers. 

I have experience supporting backend IT infrastructure and I know how those things work. 

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Welp, I feel like a real sap.

I kept getting those emails saying I could be getting up to 10 times faster upload speeds and bought one of their recommended modems.

I'm getting the same download and upload speeds as my old Arris sb6190 docsis 3.0 modem was getting.

That's what I get for not doing more research before making the upgrade, I guess.

Thanks for explaining what is going on here.

Hopefully down the line upgrading will pay off in my area.

15 Messages

1 year ago

so I guess since i'm using my own modem, xfinity would throttle me down on my upload? that doesn't make sense and [Edited: Lunuage]. the whole point of me sticking with comcast for quite some time is i can use my own equipment so i don't have to rent, plus there's some configuration i like with my wireless router (mesh network) , ethernet backhaul, vpn, etc. i mean i've lived with it for so long with 40mpbs but would sure be nice i can get more than that. (hope you're listening there comcast!)

(edited)

1 Message

1 year ago

Same here! Exact sa.e issue on the same plan on Docsys 3.1 Motorolla modem

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi, @mrputtputt and @user_a5y8fb! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to contact XFINITY over our forums page for help with the upload speed concern. As an internet subscriber myself, I understand the importance of receiving the correct upload speeds. Thank you so much for your patience while waiting for a response. We are the perfect team to help. To ensure we get to work on the correct account, please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Same issue with Arris 8200 modem with same plan 

15 Messages

guess it's a marketing and revenue generation - you won't get it all unless you pay more. pretty much like the tesla model. :)

8 Messages

1 year ago

Go into your modem GUI and check to see if any Upstream ODFMA channels are locked, if not; the high upload speed upgrades havent been completed yet for your market.  If one is locked, then your market is close to being completed....

1 Message

11 months ago

So is this ever going to be supported or are they going to try to force us to use all of their bloated hardware?  This is extremely anti-consumer.

Comcast, please advise.  

6 Messages

All, see my reply to SRTology above to get the real cause of the issue

15 Messages

10 months ago

Update and for crying out loud, I have to download and use a new browser (Brave) since Edge, Chrome and Firefox have the description all greyed out. Oddly enough and not long after talking to customer service about my internet only contract, savvy agent confirmed that Xfi is the only way to get my contractual speeds of 1200 down / 200 up. But there would be possibilities of being able to use my own equipment to get that speed maybe next year. 

Maybe next year was meant as around the corner because not even 1 week after the call, I get the email about updated compatible device I can use to get faster upload speeds than 40mpbs. I bought and installed the CODA56 and tested it direct connect to my desktop pc using a 2.5gb  port. I was getting very close to those speeds. My router is now my limiting factor for 1 pc since it I can't break past 920-950mpbs via my router that is gigabit only. But direct connect with a 2.5gb port from desktop? i'm getting > 1gb speed. At least even if the router is limiting, I'm getting almost a little over 4x the upload speed with the CODA56 modem. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Exact same issue here guys. I received an email a couple days ago from Xfinity telling me that I need to upgrade my modem to take advantage of new 5x-10x speeds on the upload side. There were 5 modems listed in the email with no reference or link to a larger list of compatible modems. Strange that there's only 5 cable modems out there that can handle more than 40mbps upload speed, right? haha 

Here's the steps that I took before I gave up:

• I first called Xfinity and confirmed that my modem is actually compatible with Xfinity (which I already knew was a "yes") and was capable of the higher speeds (which I also already knew was a yes since it's a DOCSIS 3.1 modem). 
  • Xfinity ran some tests remotely and confirmed that everything "looks good" from their side. Didn't give me any further details what they were actually doing. 
  • Xfinity sent out a technician and he was able to confirm speeds coming into the house are reaching the advertised levels (~1200mbps download and ~200mbps upload). Technician was also able to confirm that the speeds coming out of my modem were downgraded to somewhere around 900mbps download and 40mbps upload, confirming that the issue is at the modem. Technician wrote up the visit as "customer equipment at fault" and told me to call the modem manufacturer.
  • So I followed the advice and called the modem company (Arris) and went through their 30-minute troubleshooting process. In the end, they were able to confirm that everything looked good on the "Downstream channels", however, "Upstream channels" coming to my modem were below the required power range. I was somewhere around 42/43 dBmV whereas Arris told me the range must be between 45-61 to avoid any intermittency with connection or slower speeds. I asked if this was really enough to cause this downgrade in speeds and they assured me that this was the “smoking gun”. 
  • Called up Xfinity and ran through what I had learned from Arris and they immediately scheduled an "escalation appointment" with a technician same day to come address the issue. 
  • During the escalation appointment, the technician confirmed that my “Upstream channels” were below Arris’s spec, but did note that they were still within Xfinity’s spec (there appears to be a misalignment between Arris and Xfinity on what is considered “in-spec” for “Upstream Channel” power). By adding a splitter to the cable line prior to my modem, he was able to bump up the power to just above 45 dBmV to get it within Arris’s spec. After running a new speed test directly connected to the cable line and then directly connected to my modem, the tech was able again to confirm that speeds coming into the house were exceeding 200mbps on upload but speeds coming out of my modem were still in the range of 30-40mbps. So now I know that Arris’s “smoking gun” was not correct. 
  • Next step, I called Arris customer support back and explained that an Xfinity technician had recalibrated the upstream power going into the modem to be within their spec (as they had requested) and yet we are still experiencing throttling of speeds coming out of the modem. Arris went through a 45-minute troubleshooting session and concluded that the issue “appears to be with the device itself” and offered to do a warranty replacement. However, the advanced replacement warranty requires me to pay for shipping ($20). Their other option is for me to unplug and mail them my modem and wait for a replacement - what a joke to think that a customer can just unplug their modem and go offline until they send a new one. Since it seems to me that Arris has no idea what the issue actually is and I’ve seen this thread with multiple other people experiencing the same thing, I am thinking a replacement modem is not going to result in anything here, so I am opting to give up at this point. 

Not being an expert here at all, I feel like somehow Xfinity is somehow only unlocking the higher upload speeds for customer-owned modems listed in their email they sent me. Guessing they get some sort of kick-back from the sale of those modems. Seems like another case of Xfinity trying to deceive their customers into thinking they are giving us something for free out of the goodness of their heart haha

15 Messages

it's highly possibly only select devices are going to get approved speed. i still haven't seen a docsis 3.1 is not quite docsis 3.1 on all devices that have that specification. i can only observe that the ones that do go above 1gb for download are those with a 2.5gb port. now upload is a different problem since i can't find tiering on that docsis 3.1 "upload" speed either. wish there was a 802.11x spec on these things. 

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

Hello @scangasn! We appreciate you taking the time to reach out on our Forums. Thanks for sharing this information with us as well. Based on everything done thus far, the next troubleshooting step would be replacing the modem. I understand the difficulties around that and would be more than happy to further troubleshoot this with you on our end. Please send us a Direct Message. Here are the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Direct Message icon” (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the To line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here