HTWingNut's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, February 11th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Do Xfinity WiFi hotspots count towards my data cap?

There are two wifi hotspots: "XFINITY (Secured)" and "xfinitywifi (Open)"

Do either count towards my data cap?

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

All that link does is take me to an article from arstechnica. Does Comcast not have an official document stating so? Any other remark is from 2-3 years ago. I don't see anything on Xfinity or Comcast websites indicating that it is or is not included.

I wonder because I have been primarily using the hotspots lately, but my usage has shot up 200GB in just the last couple of days! Only response I get from Comcast support is I can pay $50 more a month for unlimited internet. Gee thanks, but that doesn't help or answer the question.

If I ask for a report showing when the data was used they can't provide it. So instead I have to take their word for it?

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

5 years ago

It's not just that article. Did you scroll down and check anything else ? I can find a bunch of stuff and threads from this and other forums where Comcast employees are stating that it doesn't count...

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

The only thing I see is from here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-hotspots

And this section:

Will the homeowner be accountable for visitors' activities and data usage on the Wireless Gateway?
No. The homeowner is not accountable for visitors' activities and data usage. Visitors are accountable for their own usage based on their Xfinity WiFi Hotspot eligibility.

But nowhere does it say what that usage is "based on their Xfinity WiFi hotspot eligibility." It points to a void.

Everything about Comcast data plans are so vague, yet they ding you for overage, but can't give me a report saying when and how much data I used. It's just some chart that's updated whenever it feels like it. No accuracy or accountability whatsoever.

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

5 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

Any device that connects to the Internet and generates input/output will count against the data cap.

Your point ??? Yes. This is a known fact for a home connection. But they are not talking about their home connection..... They are asking about the public WiFi hotspots...... This is a separate and a valid concern of theirs.....

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here