455olds's profile

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, February 4th, 2024 11:15 PM

Do my modem logs and signal look ok?

I'm having occasional disruptions in service. Is it normal to have errors like this? Signal look ok? Thanks 

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

6 months ago

This may or may not be the root cause of the problem (YMMV) but it should be addressed regardless.

The downstream power is too high. It may be over-driving the front-end receiver circuit of the modem. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

Is there a drop amplifier on the coax cable line leading to the modem ? If so, try removing / bypassing it and see. If not, you can try installing a -6 dB forward path-only attenuator pad such as this one on the coax port on the rear of the modem to knock that power level down and see;

https://www.amazon.com/FPA6-54-Forward-Attenuator-DOCSIS-Internet/dp/B08KTRC3XZ 

You may need to use two of them piggybacked together.

It / they won't affect the upstream power level.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

There are no splitters or anything. Just cable coming from street to modem. Those attenuators are cheap enough to try. Thanks for reply. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@455olds EG is on point, If those recommendations do not help, or you need additional assistance please let me know, so we can help make sure you have the connection you need.  

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

6 months ago

Good luck ! Please post back here with how it goes, thanks.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I called and had comcast send someone out to fix it. They added 1 attenuator. Thanks for help

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

5 months ago

Thanks for the update ! For curiosity, would you please post what the power levels look like now, thanks !

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 months ago

Is there a risk of hardware damage with downstream power level being too high or just a stability issue? Thes is what my currant signal look like.

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

5 months ago

It's mostly a stability thing. It would take an awful lot of signal to cause damage to the hardware. Anyway, the downstream power is better but it's still on the high side. Perhaps the tech should have used two attenuator pads. The bottom line would be to live with this right now and see if the problem is still there. Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here