mzwaterski's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Wed, May 13, 2020 3:00 PM

DNS requests appear to be intercepted

In testing a DNS issue, I appear to have discovered that my DNS requests are being intercepted.  When I query a DNS server that is an authority (confirmed by performing the query with another internet provider and also confirmed by a friend who is also on Xfinity), I'm receiving a response that the answer is non-authoritative.  The other Xfinity user is using a bring your own modem.  I am using the Arris TG3482G.  Is the interception being done by Xfinity? Is this intentional?

Responses

EG

Expert

• 

86.5K Messages

1 y ago

Yes. It's intentional. The Comcast DNS servers are hardcoded into the firmware of the Comcast supplied gateway devices. It can't be altered.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.8K Messages

1 y ago

And to expand: Comcast gateways not only do not let you alter the DNS servers, they intercept all DNS requests and route them to the Comcast servers. Even changing the DNS on a device will not work.

New to the Community?

Start Here