Anon342394's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 3:00 PM

Ditch the rented modem? And other speed questions

We have the performance pro and I am getting 91 down and 6 up.

Shouldn't I be getting way more like 250-300 down? 
I currently have the Arris Tg1682 telephony modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router.

I cancelled the landline and I'm taking the rented modem back.

Questions:

If I'm getting the 91 down will changing my modem or router help increase my speed? The router is supposed to be a very nice one but is like 10 years old? 
I am open to any suggestions!!!! Thank you 

Responses

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 m ago

Are you testing on a pc that isn’t able to go over 100? Are you testing hardwired or wifi. Sorry you left that out

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 m ago

Sorry!

Wifi on my iPad is 92.57 and 5.93

Wired on Xbox is 108.5 and 5.68 with 47ms latency

Daughter complains of lag while playing online-I thought the wired would be much better.

I browsed the netgear nighthawk settings (wow-a lot of settings) and am willing to make changes to the router.  Not sure if it's the router or the modem at this point though.

Modem is also in bridged mode

Gambit66

Problem Solver

• 

316 Messages

5 m ago

@Anon342394 wrote:

We have the performance pro and I am getting 91 down and 6 up.

Shouldn't I be getting way more like 250-300 down? 
I currently have the Arris Tg1682 telephony modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router.

I cancelled the landline and I'm taking the rented modem back.

Questions:

If I'm getting the 91 down will changing my modem or router help increase my speed? The router is supposed to be a very nice one but is like 10 years old? 
I am open to any suggestions!!!! Thank you 

@Anon342394  well if you are using your own router/wifi, then your modem should be in bridge mode. Otherwise your get a whole bucket of problems.  I used to have an older Linksys router we had for years. Upgraded to an ASUS in 2014/15, big improvement So if your router is 10 years old, it can`t handle the speed. Go buy a new router, and go to the Comcast store/office and make sure you have the newest modem they have. 

As far as rented vs your own modem. Rented modem cost you nothing if it burns up or has problems, and needs fixing or replaced. Your own modem cost out of your pocket. Comcast modems have less connection issues. Most of the post on here of having modem trouble, are people who own their own. FYI- Another thing that is causing problems, don't use Xfi app, don`t activate it in your account. Since you use your own router/wifi, and the modem will be in bridge mode, Xfi won`t work anyway.

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 m ago

Hardwired to a pc is the most reliable way to test the speeds that you are actually getting. Neither of your examples are good reliable testers. That gateway is also older and there’s newer equipment available. You also need to take into account (post) the signal levels of your modem as that will affect speeds too. And there’s also the router attached to a router as mentioned above
EG

Expert

• 

87.1K Messages

5 m ago

@Gambit66 wrote:

well if you are using your own router/wifi, then your modem should be in bridge mode.

It's a combo gateway device.

As far as rented vs your own modem. Rented modem cost you nothing if it burns up or has problems, and needs fixing or replaced.

Pretty rare for a modem / gateway device to burn up.

Your own modem cost out of your pocket.

Yes but more times than not, over the long run, owning is cheaper than renting. 

Comcast modems have less connection issues. Most of the post on here of having modem trouble, are people who own their own.

Ha ! From what I've seen here over the last 18 years, it is quite the opposite !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 m ago

I almost didn't post seeing not too many replies and figured I wouldn't get a response so I appreciate ANY responses!  Maybe you guys could take up your issues in private messages? Just a thought!

Anyway I would, like most people, I want to maximize what I'm paying for.  Definitely returning the Arris though.  I'm not renting.

So, is there any advantage to having an all in one unit? (Router, modem, WiFi)

Is my Netgear nighthawk 7000 impeding my performance? It's an ac1900.

I like the flexibility of the router.  It's got loads of features!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

On a side note, what's the deal with Comcast/Xfinity? I'm confused.  It WAS Comcast.....then I thought they were changing or merging to Xfinity.  Now we are back to Comcast? What's the deal?

MisterEd51

Problem Solver

• 

704 Messages

5 m ago

"Xfinity is the trade name of Comcast Cable Communications, LLC, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation, used to market consumer cable television, internet, telephone, and wireless services provided by the company. The brand was first introduced in 2010; prior to that, these services were marketed primarily under the Comcast name."

Xfinity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfinity

EG

Expert

• 

87.1K Messages

5 m ago

@orawhilealley wrote:
Right now I can only recommend the modem change to the The Nighthawk CM2000. You may find it on sale at a nearby Target. I did. They have a different connection pattern. Something like a OFDM and OFDMA.

The OFDM / PLC downstream channel capability is only needed if one subscribes to Comcast's gigabit speed tier.

And 4×4 multi user MIMO.

It's not a router or a combo gateway device. It's a plain vanilla cable modem. There is no MIMO.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 m ago

Right now I can only recommend the modem change to the The Nighthawk CM2000. You may find it on sale at a nearby Target. I did. They have a different connection pattern. Something like a OFDM and OFDMA.
And 4×4 multi user MIMO.
The second option is the Wifi Combo The Netgear Nighthawk AX6000

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 m ago

The second option is the Wifi Combo The Netgear Nighthawk AX6000
EG

Expert

• 

87.1K Messages

5 m ago

@orawhilealley wrote:
Not with the CAX80-100NAS Nighthawk AX6000

Correct. The AX 80 is a combo gateway device but it still doesn't support the Comcast phone service if that's what the OP also needs.

EG

Expert

• 

87.1K Messages

5 m ago

They would still need to use a cable modem with that router, or an eMTA modem device if they also have Comcast's phone service.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 m ago

Not with the CAX80-100NAS Nighthawk AX6000

New to the Community?

Start Here