test2008's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 5th, 2021 3:00 PM

Closed

Disable SIP ALG on TG 4482 Modem

I have tried numerous times to go through tech support to find out how to turn off SIP ALG on this modem.  Tonight I was direct to Arris.  I thought this was funny since I rent this modem from Xfinity.  I also had this "2nd" level tech tell me to log into the router using 10.0.0.1, when the network is a 192.168.0.1 network.  It's a simple request, but NO tech support person knows how to do this, and they have dumbed down these modems for end users that we have no controls.  I have a VOIP device that wasn't having issues before I changed to this modem due to speed increase.  I had lots of control over my old modem, and now it's like you cannot do much of anything.  I just need to know how to turn off the SIP ALG to get my VOIP device working.  Please, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciated it!!!! I rent this modem at almost $15.00 per month and pay lots per month for service.  If Xfinity cannot help resolve this issue, I may be considering a change in ISP's after 24 years.....

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

4 years ago

@test2008 wrote:

I have tried numerous times to go through tech support to find out how to turn off SIP ALG on this modem.  Tonight I was direct to Arris.  I thought this was funny since I rent this modem from Xfinity.  I also had this "2nd" level tech tell me to log into the router using 10.0.0.1, when the network is a 192.168.0.1 network.  It's a simple request, but NO tech support person knows how to do this, and they have dumbed down these modems for end users that we have no controls.  I have a VOIP device that wasn't having issues before I changed to this modem due to speed increase.  I had lots of control over my old modem, and now it's like you cannot do much of anything.  I just need to know how to turn off the SIP ALG to get my VOIP device working.  Please, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciated it!!!! I rent this modem at almost $15.00 per month and pay lots per month for service.  If Xfinity cannot help resolve this issue, I may be considering a change in ISP's after 24 years.....

@test2008  The 10.0.0.1 is the login address of the comcast modem. 192.168.1.1 is the login address of your personal router.

Expert

• 

106.7K Messages

4 years ago

@test2008 wrote:

You can't. Put it in to bridge mode and get your own router. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I called Arris and got the same lie that i got from Xfinity.  Too bad that both the ISP and the manufacturer both perpetrate misinformation and lies that almost cost my wife her job.  The truth is that the Arris gateways that have phone service included are actually performing SIP/ALG and have no option to disable it, thus causing SIP problems on VPN's that are used for at home workers. Both the Xfinity and Arris people that answer questions about the SIP/ALG option are saying that if there is no option to disable it, that there is no such function in the gateway, when in fact the problem is that it is performing that function, and there is no way to turn it off. Just because there is no option to control it, does not mean it is not occurring. I have seen proof that it is happening by looking at results of a SIP/ALG test performed by the IT department at my wife's employer. Yet an Xfinity person actually told my wife's supervisor that if there is no option, then the feature does not exist. After I made the gateway bridged, and used an external netgear R6020 router, the SIP/ALG problem was resolved. Too bad i now need 2 boxes instead of one, due to the fact Arris gives no way to disable SIP/ALG. And now i have no phone service out of the Arris gateway now that it has to operate in bridged mode. But still have to pay for the phone service I cannot use without adding another external VOIP device.  Defeats the whole purpose of a one box does everything approach. Arris could re-engineer the gateways to have a dual router inside via an internal switch, thus providing SIP phone out of one internal router, while providing internet through a separate internal router that provide all the options an end internet customer might want to tweak.  Fix the lies and misinformation first- then have Arris make a better product.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_ed6eb2 - I am curious if you would have a link to the SIP ALG test that was used by your wife's employer. I have tried a couple to troubleshoot a VOIP issue on my home network, but both tests come back negative saying that SIP ALG is not detected. So perhaps I have a false-negative. If you could provide a link it would be appreciated.

Expert

• 

106.7K Messages

4 years ago

@user_ed6eb2 wrote: "And now i have no phone service out of the Arris gateway now that it has to operate in bridged mode."

AFAIK, placing a CC gateway device in to bridge mode is not supposed to disable the phone / eMTA functioning of the device.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here