U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 22nd, 2023 2:20 PM

Closed

Devices requiring 2.4 GHz network will not connect to XFi XB8

I have several devices that require 2.4 GHz in my new home.  I need to download important software upgrades and they will not recognize the XFi box.  They are not old (only if four years is old).  In reviewing online information previous Xfi would let you choose the band.  I can't find that in the app for the XB8 and the online information.  I need to get these downloads.  I am sure there is a fix/workaround.  Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

1 year ago

Hello @user_6243a7

Thank you for reaching out. The process you are is called "band steering", with the new devices, they are amazing, the device handles moving the device to the optimal band of connectivity. If you want to modify the process, that is

1. Open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Go to the WiFi tab.
  3. Tap your Home WiFi Network name.
  4. Select Edit WiFi settings.
  5. Select 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi.
  6. Select Edit next to the WiFi band you want to update.
  7. Select the new WiFi Mode and/or Channel setting.
  8. Select Save to save your new settings.

xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

The article above is the one you are searching for regarding this process. I also included a great article here below on the benfits to bang steering. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/benefits-same-wifi-network-password-name-xfi-gateway

3 Messages

Fix does not work. Xfinity why is this such an issue?

1 Message

11 months ago

When I go on to the app and follow the steps listed above, I do not have an option for 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello user_muzs5t

Thank you for reaching out! Band steering is set up for the unit by default. No worries though, I did include the link here below on you configure these independent bands. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

11 months ago

This issue is a deal breaker for me.  Just received the Xb8 and was told it would solve my problems with needing a Pod and needing a separate 2.4 for my Smart Home and security system.  It does not solve these issues.  Wish I had my old modem from xfinity that had separate channels and I had no issues until it went bad.  

Official Employee

• 

911 Messages

@user_5q39tp, We aim to please and can definitely take a look into the connection concerns you are experiencing with your equipment. Worst case scenario, we can definitely replace the XB8 with a different model equipment if you would prefer not to have the new gateway going forward. Thank you for taking the time to reach out using the Xfinity Community Forums page as well.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

2 Messages

Honestly is a shocking that a company with Xfinity's resources does not recognize the need for a dedicated 2.4 channel to support smart homes and security systems. These consumers tend to be early adopters of new technologies.  It was offered on the app to separate 5.0 and 2.4 but no longer.  Then in theory if you were able, you can't use Pods any longer.  Aren't Pods for signal strength at distance and through walls?  Is that not what 2.4 is ideal for??  I have wasted way too many hours with Xfinity help lines and robots keeping me from getting to a real person I could scream.  When I somehow manage to get to a human they tell me different things, how I can do it, how I can't, same with this forum.  This is an issue with many because I have researched it.  Do I want old tech to "solve" this, no. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_5q39tp​  Old tech?  Well kind of.   The 802.11b WiFi standard has been around long enough that software stacks are open source, which is why that's super attractive for low cost consumer product radios.  And you're right.  It does work better pushing through construction materials than 5G signals.  

Band steering for tri-band radios is relatively new.  You can do it a few different ways.  Licensed stacks like Qualcom 802.11v work better, but you can also do it with RSSI broadcast strength.  The implementation and algorithm becomes important than, and if anyone in a QA department bothered to test it, which sadly, doesn't happen often.    

What is Xfinity gear?  It's 3rd party outsourced cost reduced product they bought from a vendor.  Functionally, it's the Yugo of networking gear, controlled with an app, instead of locally, with quite a few issues, and you can see all of them here.  

So in the end, you have to figure out what you got for devices, and which WiFi standard they use.  Then pick your hardware selection that will work.  That might be a straight cable modem, and your own WiFi equipment.  You might want to cover security with something at the same time too because all consumer gear is a bit sketchy in that department, especially if you are using things that communicate with random cloud servers, and especially anything controlled with a phone app (the least secure device you own).  You really want to isolate those devices.  

Old gear?  Sure.  802.11 b/g/n is still around.  Access points and WiFi routers.  Cheap too.  You can run whatever you need for radios as far as performance goes if you want bandwidth higher than that and something that can do it.  

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thank you for your feedback, @user_5q39tp. Was the information provided by @flatlander3 helpful? 

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

10 months ago

So bottom line, per the article on How To Change Your WiFi channel selection, "

• "Advanced WiFi settings for gateways with this software enhancement are not visible and cannot be managed from the Admin Tool or Xfinity xFi."

Therefore any devices requiring a specific band, i.e., 2.4, won't work with the XB8-T Gateway.  Is this correct?

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@dsaul9​ I wouldn't count on any specific 2.4G chip set working with any specific model radio that does band steering.  It's unpredictable as far as compatibility goes. 

Might work, might not.  Specific products that do band steering may also have poor implementations that do not work well.  Millage will vary.  If you can't control the radio, than it just is what it is. 

What should work?  Two radios that speak the same 802.11 WiFi standard naively.  That would be the best chance at communication. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

Now less than 20 minutes ago, I did see an 802.11 b/g/n Ethernet WiFi router at a home improvement store.  It was dusty, but it was $35.  You can always plug one of those into your Yugo, and you'd have the right radio.

Now that wouldn't help you out with the $14-16/month you are spending on the Yugo. 

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Appreciate the input.   Just seems amazing that Xfinity would disable all existing customers that use Ring devices from upgrading their router.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

10 months ago

Another issue besides RING and network extendors is Apple products.   For my Apple devices to work together like FaceTime and iPhone answering on Mac, they have to be on the same band.  Band steering should be an option on a gateway - not a requirement.

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

From the instructions you sent, and your vauge answer I have come to the conclusion that there is no way with my XB8 to have separate 2.4/5/6 ghz network names? Am I correct?  This leaves me with more than one expensive smart devices that I can no longer use.    Please explain the rationale behind this and respectfully, I am not looking for any response that is not definitive and clear as to say yes or no.   I am Autistic and I don’t want to spend all night trying to figure out how to interpret something that is not a direct answer.  Please forgive my asking.  I’m not trying to be rude but asking that may sound rude.   I’m not trying to be I just don’t always see the same meaning as others.   Thanks!  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us here so we can help get your devices connected, @ParatrooperChad. While your networks will all broadcast the same name, I can temporarily disable the 5 and 6 GHz networks if you have devices that require the 2.4 GHz network to connect. Once they are connected, I can enable the other networks and the band steering technology will continue connecting devices to the network that offers the best connection. 

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address to get started. 

2 Messages

Is this a viable fix I also need to connect devices 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi there @user_udwssy. At this time with the XB8 modem you are not able to modify the networks on the Xfinity App. the older models gateways you are able to modify them. 

2 Messages

can I switch back to the xb7? 

Official Employee

• 

822 Messages

That is a great question, @user_udwssy! You certainly could if you wish go with the XB7. You can visit any Xfinity Store to swap that out, or we can ship on, there is typically a 1 time charge for shipping. You can go here to locate a store near you https://www.xfinity.com/local/store-offers?q=

1 Message

9 months ago

We have the XB7 and have similar problems with 2.4 connections.  We cannot separate 2.4 and 5 networks.  Our whole house generator has an app on our phone that allows us to monitor the generator from afar but the connection to this app will not stay.  Xfinity told us to add the generator manually on the gateway management software but that does nothing.  We also have a wifi extender that is 2.4 for the generator and that also does not solve anything.  So we are going to try the XB6 router to see if we can separate the networks with that,

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello @user_q6o1vv, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the connection, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

1 Message

8 months ago

This worked for me!

1) on a connected device go to the gateway homepage. Default may be

Http://10.0.0.1

2) login for the first time with default admin and password

3) change password 

4) Click on connection ---> WiFi

5) Edit WiFi 6 --> click disable --> save settings

6) edit WiFi 5GHZ --> click disable ---> save settings

7) connect 2.4 GHZ IoT as usual. 

8) profit and win.

9) pay it forward

Official Employee

• 

2.7K Messages

@Jaketc007 Thank you for taking the time to provide these steps. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here