Blackjackmark21's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, September 4th, 2024 6:23 PM

Data usage spike

Had Xfinity for over a year and have never come close to exceeding the 1.2TB allotment.

I august I supposedly used 1.65TB. And less than 3 days into September supposedly used 126GB which if it continues at that rate I’ll be at 1.5TB for the month.

There’s no way my usage has spiked like this.

I’m using Xfinity equipment. And I see old threads saying something similar happened in the past and it was an Xfinity issue.

Is there a way to monitor the usage by device using the Xfinity equipment?

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

1 month ago

Just had a worthless call with Comcast support (888-565-4329). Their position is that since no one else has reported a problem, they stand by the usage.

Even though they see an obvious spike in my usage (doubling) as of 8/11/24 and continuing since then. Yet it's my issue, not theirs.

I have not changed my habits or connected devices

Official Employee

• 

826 Messages

Hey there, Blackjackmark21! Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Xfinity Forums! I am sorry to hear about the troubles, and thank you for sharing that you reached out to our Customer Security Assurance Team! Can you please send us a DM, so we can dive in the account further with you? 

Please send us a direct message with your full name, business name, full address, and phone number.
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "
Direct Message icon” 
(upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the To line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

9 days ago

We've been having the same issue for months now but haven't gotten any notifications since we never quite hit the limit. We got the notification in Sep and went over by 30GB. Looking at our month-to-month usage, the data started doubling in May 2024. We have not added any new devices and if anything, have used less data since I started going back into the office four times a week. I talked to someone at Xfinity who just broke down the daily usage in the past few months for me. This doesn't tell me anything except that Xfinity is clearly not calculating our data usage accurately. <Edited: Solicitation> This happened to us around the same time last year and suddenly after complaining to Xfinity, our usage significantly decreased the following month. Here is a snapshot of our data usage from Nov 2023 to current:

Nov 2023 - 230GB

Dec 2023 - 204 GB

Jan 2024 - 201 GB

Feb 2024 - 180 GB

Mar 2024 - 232 GB

Apr 2024 - 359 GB

May 2024 - 762 GB

Jun 2024 - 805 GB (was away for a week)

Jul 2024 - 1020 GB

Aug 2024 - 1107 GB (was away for a week)

Sep 2024 - 1229 GB

Oct 2024 - 258 GB (MTD as of 10/8)

(edited)

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

@user_cf3xxf​ do you use their modem? If so tell them you want to swap it out. I did that as a Hail Mary and it worked!

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hello, user_cf3xxf! Thank you for reaching out about the data usage increasing vs. what you saw last year. Our Customer Security Assurance team are the experts with data usage and run tests on your service when you reach out to them to verify what is being reported. Have you spoken with that team specifically?

Have you taken any steps such as changing your WiFi password to ensure only your devices can connect?

Another thing that can help to test where the usage may be coming from is to only connect a devices or two, monitor the usage. Continue to add devices slowly and monitor the usage. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here