T2

Thursday, September 28th, 2023 5:11 AM

Closed

Customer Owned Modem - Faster Upload Speed 100/200 mbps - tracking compatiblity

Is there a way to track which Customer Owned Modems are compatible with 100 and/or 200 mbps upload speeds?  And is it possible to be notified of updates?

From navigating around the forums, Comcast has cleared the way for Customer Owned Modems to be able to go beyond the previous limit of 35 mbps and be able to user higher upload speeds.  Previously, the increased speed used to require a "xFi Complete" package and a Comcast Rented modem.

However, I can't find a list of what's currently supported or a means to be alerted when a new device gains support.  The https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/ link doesn't show upload speed compatibility, only download.

And it's possible the limiting factor is Comcast/Someone needs to upgrade Firmware to enable the increased speeds, meaning support for existing modems could come at some point.

From trial and error, this is the max upload speeds I could get:

- Hitron CODA: ~120 mbps

- Hitron CODA-56: 40 mbps

- Arris S33: 40 mbps

- Arris SB8200: 40 mbps

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

1 year ago

Is there a way to track which Customer Owned Modems are compatible with 100 and/or 200 mbps upload speeds? ...

This has been changing rapidly and the only way I know of to keep track is by frequent visits to the Devices page. There, scroll down to the "All Compatible Devices" link, which currently points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.09.25%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.docx-%20vF.pdf (the link's target has changed several times since they introduced "All Compatible Devices"). There it lists only the following 3 as "Next Gen Speed Tier" devices:

• Hitron Technologies:
  •     CODA      934 Mbps / 456 Mbps
  •     CODA56  2.33 Gbps / 455 Mbps
  • Netgear:
  •     CM2050v 2.32 Gbps / 455 Mbps

ETA: There's a tiny bit of background at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/upgraded-areas-leased-equipment-required-for-upload-speeds.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

By chance is there a NEWER list than Sept 25, 2023? at least I would have thought there would be. I downloaded this same list back in 10/10/2023

3 Messages

1 year ago

@BruceW - thanks for the response!  Though this doesn't quite provide the details I'm looking for.

The All Compatible Devices link you mentioned seems to show theoretical speeds of the modems, not the actual effective speeds that these modems can get given the current firmware (?) xfinity provisions when these devices are activated.

Case in point - both CODA and CODA56 show a Wired Upload speed of ~455 mpbs.  But as of 9/27/2023, on a Gigabit Extra (1200/200) the CODA can upload at 120 while the CODA 56 is still locked to 40 mbps.

Is there any documentation / guidance from Xfinity confirming the CODA has a higher upload speed because ... reasons?

For context, I only found out about the CODA modem hitting the higher upload speed by a lucky internet search pointing me to a forum post on this site; though I've been unable to find it again.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

1 year ago

You ask good questions! I wish I had correspondingly good answers. Unfortunately, Comcast's disdain for documentation means all we can do is take our best guess.

... The All Compatible Devices link you mentioned seems to show theoretical speeds of the modems ...

I would put it this way: they seem to rate the speeds on the Devices pages for "the maximum speed tier we would approve the device for, if such a tier actually existed". Obviously there is no "934 Mbps" tier (the download rating for the CODA). But the CODA only has Gigabit ports, which means that, due to Ethernet overhead, it can't pump out more than 940 Mbps or so. When Comcast first introduced Gigabit service they approved a bunch of devices for it which were later demoted from Gigabit back to a number around 940. Why? They've never said. I suspect they either got in legal trouble or became afraid they might get in legal trouble for claiming something that is (very strictly speaking) impossible. So now, instead of saying "1 Gbps" we have this technically more correct, but let's face it, silly "934 Mbps" nonsense.

Since The Great Gigabit Demotion, they seem to be requiring all devices they approve for Gig and Gig+ service to have 2.5 Gb (or higher) ports. The CODA56 has one, the CODA does not. The CODA does have two Gig ports and so maybe could be operated in port aggregation mode (couldn't tell from the specs), but that doesn't seem to count for Comcast. They want 2.5 Gb (or higher) ports.

... the CODA can upload at 120 while the CODA 56 is still locked to 40 mbps ...

I don't know why. The Devices page(s) say both should be capable of 450+ Mbps upstream.

Is there any documentation / guidance from Xfinity confirming the CODA has a higher upload speed because ... reasons?

None that I know of. Keep in mind: greater-than-40-up-on-retail-devices has only been around for a month or so, and greater-than-40-up-on-rental-devices not terribly much longer.

Sorry I don't have more solid information. Good luck!

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

3 Messages

1 year ago

UPDATE (10/5/2023): Hitron CODA-56 now hits 120 mbps!

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

1 year ago

UPDATE (10/5/2023): Hitron CODA-56 now hits 120 mbps!

Excellent, glad to hear it!

Yesterday, in response to a "why don't I have the faster upload speeds" question, an employee posted a link to https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/. It contains a number of "ifs", "buts", and "gotchas" that I hadn't been aware of where "10G/NextGen" is concerned. But it still leaves many questions unanswered.

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

I woke up today and my internet service wasn't working.  My Netgear CM2050V crashed overnight and I couldn't even get the admin page to come up.  I restarted it and now it has an upstream OFDMA channel locked.  I had never noticed that before.  The Xfinity web site now lists my plan as 1200/200 instead of 1200/35, though still I'm only getting the usual ~1400/40 on a speed test.  I'm in Chicago if anyone is curious.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes for the upgraded speed to actually start working?  I'd really rather not bother calling or visiting an Xfinity store if I can just wait a few days.  I have a strong hunch Comcast just made the change that lit up the upstream OFDMA channel last night, so I don't necessarily expect it to work yet.  

I'm feeling rather lucky for having the 3rd customer owned modem model to be approved for increased upload.  Perhaps the Netgear CM2050V was a priority since it's the only voice enabled modem with a 2.5Gb port on their recommended list.  That was also the case back then I got it in early 2022.  My only other option at the time was a Motorola combo WiFi router/modem.  I decided the Motorola was a waste of $50 since I'm running a wired router with access points.

I wonder how many more existing devices they will roll out upload speed increases to, and especially what's up with support for Motorola.  There are no Motorola devices listed as recommended in the full list of supported devices in My Device Info.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

1 year ago

... I restarted it and now it has an upstream OFDMA channel locked ...

I'm curious about the stats for that channel. Would you mind posting them? The only posts I've seen with an upstream OFDMA channel locked show a "Symbol Rate" of 0 for that channel. One example is https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/internet-download-speeds-crash-but-upload-speeds-still-are-high/64792aa427f9157f6ffb7e96#:~:text=Upstream.

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

Unfortunately the Netgear CM2050V doesn't seem to provide a symbol rate stat for OFDMA channels.  Or maybe it's not actually relevant which is why other models show 0?  Unlike some models the CM2050V lists OFDM and OFDMA channels in separate tables.  The ATDMA channels report a symbol rate of 5120 Ksym/sec.  For OFDMA this is all I get:

Upstream OFDMA Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation / Profile ID Channel ID Frequency Power
1 Locked 3 ,4 ,10 ,11 ,12 ,13 41 36200000 Hz 34.8 dBmV
2 Not Locked 0 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

1 year ago

... Or maybe it's not actually relevant which is why other models show 0? ...

Could be. I don't know what the stats for an upstream OFDMA channel should look like. Maybe the Symbol Rate = 0 is normal for them, given the difference in modulation method? Thanks for posting that!

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

Hopefully that new OFDMA channel will start doing something useful sometime soon.  I'm kinda chomping at the bit for no good reason.  I just don't use that much upload.  I mean it would be nice but I don't really need it.  I'm not sure my employer's VPN will even do 40Mbps, and work stuff is the bulk of my uploading.  I have an OFDMA channel locked, my modem is on the "10G" supported list, and their web site says I have a 1200/200 plan now so... when will it actually start working?

3 Messages

10 months ago

I know this is an old string, but in case you're still wondering, The CM2050V firmware has an issue and needs an update to come to compatibility without dropping offline.  Netgear is working on that, but its supposed to be any time now.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

I just got an email from Comcast saying I could get faster upload speeds if I upgrade my device, and suggesting some devices  From the email:

Good news

You can now enjoy up to 5-10x faster upload speeds and smoother connections with your current Xfinity Internet package.

Easy next steps

Your internet equipment is unable to deliver these new speeds, but here’s a list of compatible devices to purchase:

Hiltron Technologies CODA

Hiltron Technologies CODA56

NETGEAR CM3000

NETGEAR CBR750

ARRIS SURFboard G54

But they don't say _what_ upload speeds I would get with these units, and don't provide a link to more information.  That's my comment on the main topic of this thread.

As an aside:  

I don't know if I believe them that upgrading would get me more upload speed.  Right now I have a 400/100 plan, but when I first signed up for this plan a few years ago, they said my upload speeds were capped at 12 Mbps PER MY PLAN.  Since then, the plan itself has changed, and my download and upload rates have gone up on my plan page several times, currently at 400/100.  I can now download at 400 Mbps fine - but my upload rate has stayed capped at 12 Mbps ever since when I first signed up for this plan.

My current unit is a Motorola MB7420 - the web page (https://www.motorola.com/us/mb7420/p) says upload speeds up to 123 Mbps.  I know that may not be possible in my exact link configuration with Comcast, but when I do a "speedtest.net" test, the upload speed actually shoots up to 16 Mbps then quickly pulls down to 12 Mbps within a couple seconds, as if it is being capped, NOT as if the upload link itself is only capable of 12 Mbps upload speeds.  I would be happy with 20-25 Mbps upload speeds, so I don't want a lot (just enough to stream 1080p to myself from my Plex server when I'm travelling and it chokes some on 12 Mbps), and I bet if they changed the actual cap on my physical link to the "100 Mbps upload" that my plan actually specifies I would definitely get better than 12 Mbps even with my current modem... and wouldn't have to upgrade at all.

AnaIysis:  My Motorola modem is using 4 channels upstream, each at 5.12 Msym/sec, so 20 Msym/sec total.  The dumb modem page doesn't tell me the modulation, only says it is ATDMA channel type - but ATDMA's slowest modulation is 8QAM which is 3 bits per symbol so I should have a raw bitrate on upstream channel of 60 Mbps.  So 12 Mbps seems a bit low, even with a lot of channel overhead (FEC, redundancy, control bits, etc.)...  and I suspect it's being capped.

I'm worried that if I upgrade to a new modem unit like one of those above, I'm spending a lot of money (my current modem is only 3 years old) and won't actually get better upload speeds.

Perhaps I should call Comcast and ask them why I'm getting 12 Mbps when my plan says 100 Mbps and start there...

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thank you so much @danielg for working with me in private today and allowing me to get your questions answered. Please don't hesitate to reach back out if you ever have any further questions or concerns. Have a great rest of your weekend!-Richard

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

Another reddit thread with good info:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/17gwl0d/gigabit_internet_upload_speed_increases_in/

There's a link to a PDF with modems listed in one of the comments from Oct 23, 2023:  https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.10.23%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf

The original thread though (https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/) has a link to a later document (11/22/2023 - https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.11.22%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf ) that doesn't show the CM2050v anymore on it?  It shows the CBR750 instead...  Based on the previous post from @john-tmav it may have to do with the firmware thing.

(edited)

3 Messages

@danielg​ correct. The large list of approved devices shows modem specs from the manufacturers, not Comcast themselves. So while the modem itself is capable of something according to Motorola, that doesn't mean it's going to do that in Comcasts system. There's a lot of technical reasons for it that I don't entirely understand. But the smaller lists from this fall are for the next gen speed program that's newly introduced, and has the Hitron modems and the CM3000. The CM3000 I would think hasn't been released for the same reason the CM2050V was pulled off, for firmware fixes. But that started back around Halloween, so I don't know whether to expect that fix or not. But either way, unless Comcast approves the modem you have for those next gen speeds, you're not going to go faster than maybe 40mbps. 

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Hello, @danielg please use this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#unauth to shop for Comcast-approved devices. There is a button marked next-generation devices that will cover recommended modems for the increased upload speeds. Also, we can check to see if your area is now mid-split for the increased speeds just send a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message: 

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon 
  2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
  4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

Funny thing is the brand is Hitron not Hiltron. Shows how much Comcast really knows.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

The email I got from them said Hiltron.

3 Messages

@sja411​ I wouldn't call a typo by a marketing person a sign of Comcast knowledge. That's a stretch

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here