user_zvt7gj's profile

Sunday, November 19th, 2023 10:14 PM

Closed

Connection to remote VPN keeps dropping

Hello.  I'm new to the forum, but not to Xfinity.

I've been a work from home customer for a little over four years now and have had the same problem for the past four years:  I cannot maintain a connection to my employer's VPN and server.  It should be noted that i have been able to maintain a connection for many hours and, in some instances, for days without interruption, only for the connection to be severed and re-connection unsuccessful.  I've tried unsuccessfully to make any correlations to events that would trigger the dropped connections.  My work colleagues who also work from home have never had any problems with their connections; I've had my company's IT guy and VPN provider look into it and all have assured me that the problem lies with my provider.

At this point I've tried everything:  disabling advanced security protocols, working in bridge mode (both with WiFi and hard wire connections) and the problem persists.  Most recently after a visit from an Xfinity tech about a month ago, I was able to maintain pretty regular connections to the VPN over WiFi.  This past week, I was connected to the VPN for 4 straight days until the connection dropped yesterday and I still cannot reconnect.  I am currently hard wired to the Xfinity modem with bridge mode and advanced security disabled.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thank you.

K.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

10 months ago

Hey there @user_zvt7gj Sorry to hear about the VPN connection issues. Are any other devices experiencing similar connection problems around the time the VPN issues happen?  

7 Messages

@XfinityAlfonso​ , no.  All other devices seem to work normally.  I can still surf the web on my phone, ipad, and on the same computer I use for work, i.e the same computer i connect to the VPN with.

1 Message

Did you ever find a resolution?  I recently had xfinity installed and my VPN has not worked properly since.  Sometimes it is dropping every minute.  

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@user_f4cftl​ 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. Dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on Someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

10 months ago

Start here for signal/service issues:  https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/internet-troubleshooting-tips/602dae4ac5375f08cde52ea0 

It isn't always your household wiring, but that's a good place to start for connectivity problems.  Log into your modem/gateway and see if the signals are in spec, and what's going on with the error logs. 

7 Messages

@flatlander3​ according to the field techs who have come to my home to investigate this problem, the signal is strong.  I have no problem with accessing the internet, I just cant maintain a stable connection to my company's remote VPN

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_zvt7gj How is the connection when you are using your VPN and hardwired to your gateway? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_zvt7gj​ "Strong" isn't the same thing as stable and in spec, and how you measure that isn't their equipment on the truck.  The only place the signal matters is on the ball grid array on the chip hooked up to your coax, and what's that sees for signal.  

If you are breaking active state connections due to signal instability or noise, your VPN link will drop.   You might see that in an error log, or signal/codeword errors on various channels.  That could be due to neighborhood infrastructure, or your own wiring and components hanging off of it.

You might want to check out that link and look at it yourself.

7 Messages

@XfinityChristy​ I have the same problem  whether hardwired or over wifi

7 Messages

@flatlander3​ ok, so once i log into my gateway, what exactly am i looking for?

14 Messages

10 months ago

Hi, user_zvt7gj,

May I ask you some questions?

1. What type of router are you running?

2. Does your VPN take a profile with a CA (Certificate of Authority) to run?

The reason I am asking you these questions is that I tested the xFinity Orbi modem/router this week and I encountered some issues with my VPN connection as well. The new connection rendered all my VPN profile useless. I am also had a warning with a Comodo CA Certificate of Authority issue by Comcast Corporation.

7 Messages

the router is the xFi white tower, i forget the model.  as for the VPN, there is a "shared secret" authentication measrure, not sure if this is the same as a CA

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_730bfv​  If you look at the detail on the cert, what are the valid to, and valid until dates?  Where do errors like that come from?  Outdated CA authorities, or incorrect computer times usually.   Can happen with "web shield" anti-virus products as well.  

Software updates can fix those types of problems.  The OS, your anti-virus, or your VPN client are the primary suspects.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here