U

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, October 14th, 2021 7:26 PM

Closed

Connection keeps dropping. Motorola MB8600 & Asus RT-AX88U

Modem and Router are both ~1mo old.  Modem firmware is latest.  Router firmware is latest.

I have tried DHCP query frequencies: aggressive, normal, and continuous.  Restarts of router between each change.  Nothing has been stable for more than a few days.  When it dies, I have to log in from the LAN and restart the router.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer that is hardwired directly to the RT-AX88U router with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

With this test, we are trying to isolate this from being either a WiFi-only problem or a problem with the general connection to the Comcast system which would of course affect both. It's a good first step of troubleshooting before proceeding any further. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

This impacts wired and wireless connections simultaneously.  When the internet goes down, if connect to xfinity over my mobile data connection, the modem shows fine.  Rebooting the router gets me back online without touching the modem.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

For one more test, does a computer that is hardwired directly to the 8600 modem (no router in the mix) do the same thing )?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@EG That would be an impossible test.  It is stable for a few days at a time.  The modem has only one port.  And the wife and I both work from home so there is no way for me to tie up the modem with one machine for several days to try to replicate.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

O/k, oh well. That's an important test because it would isolate it down definitively to either being a problem with the router / your LAN or with the WAN / Comcast system / modem.

So let's try this. What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1  

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Can not access that IP from this side of the router.  Wife is on a video call now so it will be a while before I can bypass the router.

I seriously doubt it is signal strength.  We were stable for years before we upgraded the router and modem.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@user_3a7849

Ya' never know..... Years mean nothing. Spit happens. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I've now tried two modems and two routers in every combination.  I still drop every 2-3 days.  I just tried to bypass the router and connect to the modem to view 192.168.100.1 and am redirected to Welcome to Xfinity splash page. 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

Hmmmmm......... That's not supposed to happen..... Oh well...

So now I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to see those stats and are able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Thank you for your help!

Expert

• 

106K Messages

Quite welcome ! 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here