GeogePag's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, October 12th, 2021 8:06 PM

Closed

Connecting USB Drive

I want to connect an external USB drive to my modem so I can use it for storage and backup.  I know that the USB ports are unsupported and will not allow this.   However,  I can connect a computer via the Ethernet port to make the computer available on the network. If I have a USB to Ethernet adapter and I use that to connect a USB drive via an Ethernet port will the drive appear on the network and be usable?

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

While your post is not abundantly clear. Yes that should work fine if you are connecting the USB drive to the router / gateway device via the USB to ethernet adapter. The drive should then be visible to any ethernet connected or any WiFi connected computer that is on your home network.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

3 years ago

Whether it would work or not depends on the adapter you use.  Some will, some won't allow the drive to be recognized.  Your router may well have a USB port for connecting external storage devices.  You may also connect the external hard drive to a computer, and in the computer share the drive.  The down side of this is that the computer that the hard drive is attached to will have to stay on all the time, which with modern computers is not an issue.  If you decide to go with the latter, make sure you set the hard drive to no go to sleep, as some hard drives will not wake up gracefully from requests from other devices on the network.  You should also make sure that windows power management does not allow the USB port to be turned off by the OS when not in use. 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

@NoNoBadPuppy wrote: "Whether it would work or not depends on the adapter you use.  Some will, some won't allow the drive to be recognized."

For the benefit of all readers here, would you please elaborate on how one would differentiate between the ones that will work and ones that won't work ? Thanks.

@NoNoBadPuppy wrote: "Your router may well have a USB port for connecting external storage devices. 

FWIW. From what they have stated, it sounds like they are using a Comcast-supplied gateway device. If that is the case, then the USB port(s) is /are disabled.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

3 years ago

It is simply trial and error.  I have not yet found a way to distinguish those that work and those that do not; there is nothing in the specifications that help determine it.  In the years that USB has existed, I have tried too numerous to count usb to ethernet adapters, both in the business and the consumer world, and have always found that some do a very good job with external HDD's others do not.

As for the comment about the USB port on the router i posted 'may well have a USB port for connecting external storage devices".  The OP did not specify what modem/router they are using, so what I posted is valid. 

We can argue semantics all you want; if the port is disabled, then there is no harm in trying. At least it will eliminate that port as a connection for his external HDD.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

Uhhh, who's arguing ???

And shouldn't a USB to ethernet adapter be just a passthrough device ?

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

@EG  It just seemed as if you disagreed with what I posted.

Over the years I have been involved with computers, I have had to use USB to ethernet adapters for a wide range of things, from computers, hard drives, ultrasound machines, portable radiograph equipment, blood analyzers, etc. I can assure you that many such adapters do not work with devices that are not computers.  To be honest, I have never worried too much as the the 'why' of it, but I am assuming it has to do with the internal components of the adapter itself.  One would think that such devices would be 'passthrough', but many are not.  In my own home I have an ethernet to USB adapter made by Anker that works with any device I connect it to, while I have a much more expensive Belkin adapter that works with computers but nothing else.  I have a couple of cheap chinese devices that I keep in my tool bag; they differ only in color. One of them, the black one, works with any device I connect it to; the other one, which is blue, again only works with computers.  They appear to be physically identical, but there must be differences in the circuitry/circuit boards on the inside that make them perform differently. 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

Fair enough. Thanks for replying. The adapters should just talk two languages. USB and ethernet. Hard to believe that these devices would have enough processing power for anything else like blocking anything / firewalling / function selectivity, and the like. And for what reason. Who knows.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

I would also think that they should just 'work'.  I doubt there is any more processing power in the ones that do; rather I think that perhaps there is less 'circuitry' inside that prevents connecting with devices like external hard drives and other devices that do not have a NIC installed.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, thanks for all the responses.  I am the OP.   I didn’t say what type of modem/ router it is but I did say that I did say knew the USB ports are disabled.  It is a Comcast unit, they disable the ports.   I do have Internal HDDs in an old tower PC that are available via the PC being on the network.  However, that is the only use for the PC.   I don’t want to have to keep it on 24/7, I don’t want to keep it at all, just for the storage.  
I have two, 2 terabyte portable USB drives that I want to connect to the router.  There are 2 or 3 Ethernet ports on the modem/router that are functional.  That’s why I’m looking into a USB to Ethernet adapter.

NoNoBadPuppy,  do you have the model number of the Anker adapter that works for you?  I’d like to avoid trying random adapters to see If I can find one that works and instead try one that has been known to work in the past.

If I can’t get this to work I may buy a NAS device or my own modem/router with USB ports.  Comcast support has told me that the USB ports on a third party unit would work.  That leads me to believe that Comcast disables the ports at the modem firmware level rather than at the  ISP level, if that makes sense.

Hmmmm, maybe another option.  I have a stand alone router that may have USB ports.  If I were to connect this router to the Comcast router via Ethernet, might that work or would having two routers screw things up?  I’d just go try it but I don’t have the router here right now.

Thanks again.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

@GeogePag wrote: "Hmmmm, maybe another option.  I have a stand alone router that may have USB ports.  If I were to connect this router to the Comcast router via Ethernet, might that work or would having two routers screw things up? 

If you are going to hang a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network. 

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls. You really should put it in to bridge mode. Here's how;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode 

(edited)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

That makes sense, thanks.  The link comes up as a security risk.  Googled Comcast router bridge mode to see how to set it.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

@GeogePag 

They changed the URL of the link, sorry.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here