HHDEMIAN's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

Connecting to Modem with Ethernet cable directly to my PC....can this be done or do I need a router?

Not very tech savvie.  Have Comcast voice & date modem for home.  Use for wifi connection to PCs and printer and fo telephone.  Have to work at home.  Need to hard wire my PC.  Can't use wifi.  Can I plug Ethernet cable directly from my PC to the Comcast voice and data modem or do I need to adda router???  I don't want to do anything until I can be sure.  Calling Comcast directly has been a lost cause.  Can anyone please advise?   Thank you.

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

If that's a combination cable modem / WiFi / router gateway device, then yes, you just plug the computer into one of the ethernet ports. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@EG what if it is a personally owned dedicated modem device?           

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

@user_e8b71c

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue . Thanks. Re-closing this year old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Yes, if you look at the back of your modem, you should have many ports available
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here