1st Kudo
1st Best Answer
1st Reply

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Aug 15, 2020 2:00 PM

Connecting to an XFINITY hotspot through a wifi repeater

I have an airplane hangar (not near my home) and I have a laptop, iPhone, iPad, wifi camera, etc. inside. I currently use a mifi device that is less than ideal because of a poor quality LTE signal in the area. There is an outdoor Xfinity wifi hotspot about 400’ away. Unfortunately there is a metal building in the way so I can only connect to the hotspot if I am on the roof. I recently discovered a new device called a CC Vector Extended Long Range WiFi Receiver System. It has a directional antenna that you put on the roof and point it at a wifi signal or hotspot. A cable goes down into the building to a device that amplifies and repeats the wifi signal. It actually creates its own network on 192.168.18.1 and also includes two ethernet ports in addition to the wifi signal.

When I connect the wifi on my phone to the CC Vector, a web page opens up on 192.168.18.1 that shows a menu of the wifi signals it finds, organized by signal strength. I can select the XFINITY secure hotspot, which is the strongest signal. It then only gives me the opportunity to input a passphrase. This doesn’t work because secure XFINITY hotspots require your Xfinity username also.

There are advanced connection features on the CC Vector but I don’t know how to set them up. I called the manufacturer and they don’t know either; their software was written by a third party and they don’t know anything about the advanced features. Most people just use the product to extend their home WiFi signal to a distant outbuilding.

On the web page, if I select “Edit profile” on XFINITY, I can change the encryption type from WPA2 to WPA2-EAP. There are other types also. When I do that I am prompted to enter information into some data fields related to the profile certificate and this is where I get stuck. Specifically they are asking for EAP method, Path to CA-certificate, Path to Client-certificate, Path to Private Key, Password of Private Key, Identity, and Anonymous Identity. I have no idea how to specify a path to a certificate on an Apple product, but I think it would work if I could come up with this information.

Are there any experts on WiFi hotspot profile and certificates?

Responses

Accepted Solution

dhetteen

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

9 m ago

So can someone tell me if what I am trying to do is even possible? It seems to me like it should be possible, but so far everything I have tried has failed. I can connect to xfinitywifi or Cablewifi but they time out after 5 minutes, so that won't work. I really need to connect to the secure XFINITY hotspot.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 m ago

Did you ever come up with a solution to your issue? I am attempting to connect a wifi extender as well, but I am not seeing the XFINITY Hot spots. I'm on my boat and last Fall I was able to see and connect to xfinitywifi hotspots with the extender, but when I came down and tried this Spring, I no longer see any 'xfinitywifi' networks.

EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

1 m ago

@kraysco 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. 8 month old dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

New to the Community?

Start Here