B

Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 9:09 PM

Closed

Connecting a printer to my home network

I am trying to connect a printer to my home WiFi network which has an XB8-T gateway/router.  I get an error message "The machine cannot detect a WLAN access point/router that has WPS or AOSS enabled."  When I push the WPS button on the XB8-T, the light is supposed to flash blue while attempting to establish a WPS connection with the printer.  However, when I push the button nothing happens.  When I release the button, I get two brief red flashes.  I'm guessing WPS has not been enabled on the gateway/router (though it is supposed to be enabled by default.)  How do I enable WPS on the XB8-T?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

1 year ago

Hello @BDW4633, thank you for reaching out to our forum community for help with you home network connection issues. When you need to print something you realize how important they are to have lol, so let's get this working for you. Are you able to view our network name on your printer at all?

3 Messages

@XfinityMarcos​ 

When I attempt to connect the printer to the network, the printer tries for a couple of minutes and prints the following error message.

"The machine cannot detect a WLAN access point/router that has WPS or AOSS enabled."

I then followed up by attempting to connect the printer again.  While the printer is attempting to locate the network, I pressed the WPS button on the back of the XB8-T.  I still received the same error message.  According to the information on the Xfinity website, when I press the WPS button, the light is supposed to flash blue until the connection is made.  When I pressed the WPS button, the light continued to show clear white.  When I released the button, the light flashed red briefly twice and then showed clear white again.

What this suggests to me is that the XB8-T does not have WPS enabled.

Thanks for reaching out to help.  I hope we can resolve this.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@BDW4633, I appreciate you already trying those self-service steps and trying those troubleshooting steps already. Let's dig into this deeper together. In order to get started can you please send a direct message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

Printers almost always have a back-up configuration option in case WPS isn't available, so check your manual or the manufacturer's web site.  WPS is generally not supported on business class WiFi equipment as it is considered a security risk, so they almost always offer a backup method of configuring WiFi.

The exact alternative method is specific to an individual printer model or group of models that use the same drivers, but usually it involves running an app from the printer vendor on a computer and connecting the printer with USB or an ethernet cable.  The app may be included in a larger package of printer utilities or it may be a separate utility.  Some printers can also be configured manually using a built-in display on the printer.

3 Messages

@zandor60657​ 

I managed to connect my printer to my computer using a USB cable.  It seems to be working OK.

However, pressing the WPS button on the XB8-T gateway still doesn't seem to do anything.

Official Employee

• 

252 Messages

Could you please send our team a direct message. Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

9 months ago

when I press the WPS button on my XB8 router, it blinks red a couple of times then turns solid white. Shouldn’t it blink blue?

1 Message

I have this same issue did you ever find a solution 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hi @user_08308b Thank you for reaching out on the Xfintiy Community Forums. The WPS light should blink blue and go to solid white once pairing is complete. Are you still seeing an issue with WPS? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here