phillyaj's profile

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

Saturday, June 15th, 2024 11:12 PM

Confirm - XB8 Port 4 is 2.5G ethernet???

I've searched and can't seem to get a definite answer here on if the XB8 indeed  has a 2.5G ethernet port.   I see that port #4 (Bottom Right) has a red line next to it.   Can someone please confirm if that is indeed the 2.5G ethernet port?

I just got the GIG X2G package and have own router configured to use a 2.5G WAN port.   (Using the XB8 in Bridge mode).  I'm not really seeing the 2G down speed.   

(I measure my speed AT my router with an add-on app--(ASUS-Merlin).   

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

3 months ago

Ok...So I think I answered my own question...  Per the console...it shows 2500 for that port... and my Router shows it connected at 2500 on that port.    So WHY is my download speed SLOWER than when I had it connected to a 1G port???   l

[Edited: "personal information"]

You can see the drop-off when I switched ports on the XB8.  [Edited: "Language"]      My average download speed, when I had my OWN Arris S33, with the 1G service was better (At least from a download perspective).   The 235Mbps avg upload speed is nice....althought I would think I would be seeing 1.4-1.8G down on average. 

***And YES...I did unplug the router...numerous times..**

THoughts?

(edited)

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

3 months ago

So what I don't get.... WHY is my download speed slower?     There were three Scenarios..

1) Original Setup:   Service = 1G Down   Modem = Arris S33   Router = ASUS RT-AX86U.   Connected via 2.5G port from Modem to Router     AVG Download Speed =  Over 1000 Mbps. 

2) New Modem Setup 1 :  Service = GIG 2X  Modem = Xfinity XB8   Router = ASUS RT-AX86U.   Connected to Port #1 (upper Left) on XB8  and 2.5G port on Router   AVG Download Speed = <1000 Mbps

3) New Modem Setup 2:   Service = GIG X2  Modem = Xfinity XB8   Router = ASUS RT-AX86U.  Connected to Port #4 (bottom Right) on XB8 and 2.5G port on Router    Avg Download Speed = 600-700 Mbps

Also , What I know:

- XB8 admin console indicates that port #4 is 2500 Mbps

- Router log shows it is connected at 2500 Mbps to the XB8

If my line quality was good enough to get over 1G fairly consistently with my OLD service and my Arris S33 modem, WHY should the XB8 be worse?      I don't see any other settings or config on the XB8 to change.    

Is there anything on my router I might need to setup differently?  NAT type?  UPnP?  Do I need to use WAN Aggregation to get 2G down?  

And I really don't feel like spending endless hours of wasted time trying to explain this to the Support desk?    Any chance I can get right to a L3 tech somehow? 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

Here's what I'm taking about...   Notice the step-down of the Orange (Download) speed.   This corresponds to when I moved the connection to the 2.5G port on the XB8.   It cut the speed in half.    

You can also see, when I actually deployed the XB8.  My Upload speed (Green chart) jumped up.   However, the Download still remained at around 1G.    

2 months ago

Did you resolve this? 

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

@NeutralTuba8432​ Yes...and NO.    I was able to confirm that the XB8 CAN get 2G download speed.    It turns out my Router , although it has a 2.5G WAN port, can't handle it.     I confirmed this by connecting my PC with a 2.5G Ethernet adapter to Port 4 (RED PORT) of the XB8.     I indeed was getting around 2G down and 230M up.    Now I'm deciding If I want to just use the XB8 as my router/WiFi  or get an upgraded ASUS router. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here