jmk312's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, March 1st, 2024 2:22 PM

Closed

Complaint

Over the past several months between 2 am and 4 am my Wifi stops working for about three minutes and then is reconnected.  This causes my alarm system to notify me and wake me up when it loses wifi and then reconnects.  Since Monday this has happened twice.  In addition, last night I received a notification at 3:50 am to set up two step notification for email on my cell phone.  Why am I receiving notifications in the middle of the night????  Why does my wifi disconnect regularly in the middle of the night????  

I had a problem with my phone line a couple of days ago and the gateway was restarted three times, so please don't tell me to do that.  This never happens during the day or evening.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

6 months ago

Your modem will reboot on it's on on a schedule set by xfinity. It is a release/renew sent from their end to your modem.  You should log in to your modem and see what settings are set for it...how often, and what time frame.  I will bet that what you are experiencing is just a normal function of the modem.  

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

Can you give me an idea of where I can find the information on Xfinity to do that?  I've been a customer for 25 years and nobody ever said anything about logging in to my modem.  

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

6 months ago

You have to log in to your router.  Where you will find it depends in which model you have.  In my example, it's under Connection.  You will not be able to change it yourself.  You might try calling xFinity support and see if they can alter it for you, but don't get your hopes up.  Look for DHCP4 Lease.  

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

6 months ago

FWIW. It may be a "DOCSIS device reset now" command pushed out by the system to reboot the modem for nightly maintenance purposes.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

It is nice to know the problem, but is there any remedy?  We can't keep waking up between 2-4 am on random nights.  (I'm beginning to see FIOS in my future.)  I am considering contacting my state cable office and filing an official complaint.

And "thank you" to the folks who are trying to help me.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

6 months ago

It will serve no purpose to complain. The release/renew cycles are necessary to maintain your connection.  When the signal is sent, it re-verifies the handshaking necessary to establish a secure connection, and then reads the results of the startup verification process that verifies firmware, etc.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it.  FIOS also uses this feature.  It is something that is absolutely necessary for the proper operation of your connection and your network.  You are welcome for the help; I wish it were better news.  You should be able to program your alarm to not alarm at certain times; once you know when your release is, you can set that time period in your alarm control and it will ignore the short outage that occurs as your modem reboots. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

6 months ago

... The release/renew cycles are necessary to maintain your connection. ...

Well yes, they are, but DHCP normally renews IP addresses silently without rebooting or otherwise interrupting communications, no "docsDevResetNow" required. Calling this in may or may not result in a resolution of the problem, but if it was me I'd give it a try.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

6 months ago

See "Lease renewal" on https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.1?topic=concepts-leases

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

They said I needed a new gateway and sent one to me.  I will try to install it today (the installation option on their app wasn't available yesterday).  Maybe that will solve the problem.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@jmk312 Thank you for the update here on the Xfinity Community Forum. Please let us know how the swap went today and if you have any questions or concerns we can assist you with.  Our team of employees is available 6:00 am - 12:00 am EST, 7-days a week, 365 days--yes, even on Holidays too! We're only a message away!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

So far the new gateway has not caused the alarm to notify us that our wifi is off.  I'm glad the "team" was available.  It took six hours and multiple phone calls to get the new wifi and pods working.  

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

Hello @jmk312! I'm glad to hear that you haven't experienced any further issues since installing your new modem. If you do need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll be happy to help!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here