tdbnbr's profile

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

Sunday, August 22nd, 2021 8:31 PM

Closed

Compatible Modem/Router

Now currently have a rented Xfinity Wireless Gateway - Technicolor CGM4140COM and Gigabit internet plan.

I would like to buy my own.

I went to the support section of my account and looked up Device Info - Xfinity to see what is compatible and there are only two with built in wi-fi routers - Arris G36 and Netgear CAX80. I cannot find the Arris G36 model for sale anywhere and the Netgear unit seems like overkill and is expensive at $429.

Any other suggestions or am I limited to those two? 

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

3 years ago

You are better off with separate modem and router.  The ones that combine both are full of compromises and you never get the full functionality of either.  Yeah, they are 'easier' to set up, but you pay a price in speed, functionality, and ability to have fine grained control over your network. 

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy

So then the question becomes if it isn't one of their 'recommended' models, will I have a hard time getting it set up?

I picked this combination out - Motorola MB8611 Modem + AC2200 Router. I am just concerned about Xfinity's support.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

If it is not on their list of approved devices, then you will most likely not get it activated.  The Modem is the critical device.  It is the one that has to be approved for use in order to be provisioned.  The router can be whatever router you choose.  If you choose a modem that is approved for the tier of service you are subscribe to, then you will not have a problem.  You could also choose a Modem that supports higher speed tiers; that way if you decide to change to a higher speed tier at a later date, you won't have to buy a new modem.  While there may be models that are not on the approved list that 'will work' with xfinity, it is very unlikely that you will able to get it provisioned. 

xfinity will provide only very basic 'support' for user purchased hardware.  Whatever device you choose, I suggest you visit their website, create an account, register your device with them (for both warranty and support), and join the support/user community.  You will be able to get full support from the manufacturer for the duration of your warranty period, and then use their user forums after that.

The MG8611 is a popular modem.  You do not specify what make/model router; just stick with a name brand such as Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, etc. 

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

@tdbnbr wrote: " AC2200 Router."

FWIW,  AC2200 Router is not a make and / or a model number. It's a general speed category.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

Very good ! Happy hunting !

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

3 years ago

The 'AC2200' was a cut and paste from the Amazon listing. It's a bundled package. Both Motorola. Strangely, the model is called MR2600 in the description. Which clearly is a 2600 mps unit and not the 2200 in the header. If I go with it, I'll confirm which one I'm getting.  

However, it sounds like from BadPuppy, that I need to go with whatever Xfinity recommends or it's an uphill battle. And they do not recommend any separate modems and routers. 

AmazonSmile: Motorola MB8611 Cable Modem + AC2200 Smart Wi-Fi Router with Extended Range | Top Tier Internet Speeds | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, and Cox – Separate Modem and Router Bundle : Electronics

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

@tdbnbr Disregard their recommendation. There are thousands who have separate modems and routers.  There is no reason to not recommend separate units.  The advantages are worth it.  If you buy a combo modem/router, you get compromises to get 'both' into one unit.  With separate units, you can easily upgrade the firmware on the router to get the latest updates and features.  On a combo, it takes much longer for firmware updates because it has to be modified for the combo unit and the carrier.   If one or the other goes bad, you only have to replace the bad device.  If you want to upgrade either unit, you will not have to start from ground zero rebuilding your network settings; in an all in one, if you have to replace it, you have to go through much more just to get your settings back the way you want them.  As wifi technology progresses, it is easier to upgrade (to wifi 6, for instance) by replacing the router. 

You can go the combo route if you wish...it's just not the way to go if you are serious about wanting fine grained control over your network.

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

@tdbnbr 

You only have to care about the cable modem being on their "approved" list. They don't classify stand-alone routers. As was stated, you can use any router you like.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

3 years ago

I think I know what to do from here, thank you!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here