stinkm's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 7th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

Compatible Modem Routers for XFi system?

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get rid of my Xfi modem/router rental fees. I'm looking for to see what other folks are using? I'm looking for a Home Mesh network system. 

I appreciate you feedback.

Thank you, Steve

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

I'd suggest starting here in terms of what's compatible: https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/

The opinions expressed below are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer, Comcast.

Just to qualify:

• If you have gigabit service and are renting an XB7, it might be worth keeping if you need the specs (this is what I use). It has WiFi 6 built in and is one of two devices out in the market that has a 2.5Gbps ethernet port (you'll need a desktop with a NIC that supports that as well).
  • What you need depends on your speed tier, how many users you have, their activity, and number of devices. 
  • Nothing beats a home with wired ethernet directly to your devices (or ethernet used as backhaul for the mesh systems). Costly, but you get what you pay for.
  • Don't be the person who buys a used end-of-life modem then pays for anything over 200Mbps. Not worth the headache of a machine that may have the puma issues or is not reliable. Don't skimp on your bed mattress, and don't skimp on your cable equipment.

Combo or separate?

So the XB6/7 have both the modem + wifi router combined. Lots of modems require you buy another wireless router system.

Combo Modem + WiFi systems for....

• ...the gamers and professionals:
    • The Netgear AX6000 is the top-of-the-line model that's equivalent to the XB7, but expect to pay around $500 after tax for it.
  • ...the power user:
    • The Netgear CM7000v2 gets solid reviews but is slightly dated
    • The Motorola MG7700 has everything you need

Separate systems require....

...a modem:

• The Netgear CM700 is a good starting point for those with <500 Mbps
  • The Netgear CM1000/CM1100/CM1200 if you have gigabit speeds
  • The ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 is pretty popular and works well
  • The Motorola MB8600 is a proven performer

...and a wireless router (here are my picks)

1. Google Nest WiFi 
    1. It's the best rated wifi router out there right now
    2. Costco has (had?) it on sale - 4 for $300, and it goes on sale frequently (2 for $200).
  2. Orbi RBK852
    1. Got an extra $700 lying around for a WiFi 6 Tri-band mesh system? This is it!
  3. Eero
    1. The latest generation is definitely the best, and it's very affordable for what it offers.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you Comcast Jonathan,

I currently have Gigabit Internet plan
Download Speed: 1000Mbps
Upload Speed: 35Mbps.

Current Modem/Router: Voice and Data Modem ARRIS GROUP, INC. TG3482G.

Can you tell me if I get the XFi Pods if I will be getting the most out of the system?

Is there a mesh system that I could just run off of the XFi modem/router other than the XFi Pods? or an all-in one system that has proven reliable working with the XFi system?

I very much appreciate your opinions and expertise!

Thank you, Steve

Thank you, Steve

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am looking to replace my Xfinity modem/router with a Tri-band WiFi 6 router.  Recommendations with and without phone capabilities?  My house is wired for Ethernet and I'll be using the new Eero Pro WiFi 6 mesh system.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

I believe I answered steve's question offline (FYI to all the viewers)

@jwaber , did you already buy the Eero Pro WiFi 6? That's only a router and not the modem. Usually it's good to have a separate modem and router. A few things to note:

• Going with WiFi 6 it's more futureproofing than anything else because very little will take advantage of the OFDMA benefits that come with the wireless AX protocol.
  • Eeros won't leverage ethernet backhaul like the Orbis or Google WiFi Mesh (gen 1)
  • Futureproof yourself and get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

Disclaimer: Modem recommendations do not represent Comcast's official recommendations. Visit https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices

for all supported devices.

If you already bought the Eeros, you'll just need the modem....

...and are on a budget, the Motorola are pretty cheap, like the MB7621.

...you can spend a bit more...the Netgear CM700/1000/1150v (voice version) and 1200 are also available, sometimes you can find them for cheaper on Ebay/FB Marketplace if you're looking to save.

...you want to futureproof for above gig-speeds....the Netgear CM2000 just came out, it has a 2.5Gbps port on the back, similar to our XB7 modems.

...the Motorola ones on Amazon have pretty positive reviews (if you don't need the latest and greatest)

If you haven't bought the Eeros and want to go the all-in-one route...

...and can splurge...

...the Netgear CBR750 just came out and has tri-band

...the Netgear AX8 came out within the last few months, but only has dual band

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Comcast Jonathan,

HELP! I just received my Eero Pro 6, installed it to my Xfi and I'm having issues. I tried the bridge option but the Eero would go offline, so I disabled it. I have over 20 devices and I find that the connectivity isn't as strong as I thought it would be. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @Designs4udb,

Does it work when you take it off Bridge Mode? (it does create a double NAT situation but if there is connectivity temporarily, use it to check for updates to the Eero firmware). 

I'd also try in the firmware http://10.0.0.1/restore_reboot.php the Restore Factory Settings option on the modem, or if you're on the XB6, press and hold the reset button, or if you're on the XB7, pressing and holding the WPS (<-->) button.

If none of those work, there's the option of taking in the modem for a swap to see if there's a difference. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hey Jonathan,

So, I never bonded with the Eero Pro6, so I'm removing and trying the new 2nd Generation Xfi pod. Should I remove the Eero first them plug in the Xfi pod?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Jonathan...Does the Orbi Netgear CBR750 work with Xfinity Voice? If not, what's a solution to a mesh wifi system with Xfinity voice without using the rental Xfi modem? Thanks.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@Ibis1991

I don't believe that he works for them any longer.  Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (copy your post and paste it there). Thanks. Re-closing this year old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here