jkbuckethead's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

24 Messages

Thursday, May 6th, 2021 5:04 PM

Closed

COMCAST REMOTELY RESET MY GATEWAY AND DISABLED BRIDGE MODE... [Edited]

To put it simply, I have no desire in having or using xfinity's xfi gateway.  The only reason that I have a gateway is that it is the cheaper option for getting unlimited data.  Within minutes of receiving and powering the gateway on, I had already enabled bridge mode, disabling the extra "features" of the gateway.  With the gateways routing and wifi disabled I of course must provide my own.  In my case, I have a home-built Pfsense router and stand-alone wireless access points.

I have a Plex media server that I share with family outside of my house.  Recently my brother started having trouble connecting to my Plex server.  The most common reason given for the this problem is double NAT or Network Address Translation, which occurs when two routers are connected to the system.  "Knowing" that my xfi gateway was disabled in bridge mode, I started looking for other causes.  Unfortunately, the settings were all correct, and resetting them did not fix the problem.  After multiple tries, eventually I had no choice but to check for double NAT.  After checking my internal and external IP addresses I discovered that I was in fact getting Double NAT. 

I checked the gateway and I was quite surprised to see that bridge mode on the gateway was disabled meaning the gateway was routing ahead of my router, and the gateway wifi was also enabled.  As soon as I turned bridge mode back on again, my problems were resolved. 

I was furious that comcast would reconfigure my system without even bothering to notify me.  There may have been a valid reason such as a firmware update, but I am still furious that this was done without my permission or knowledge.  Just one more reason (as if I needed another) that I will drop comcast the moment I get a workable replacement. 

I HATE COMCAST SOOOO MUCH!

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

3 years ago

Yeah I agree that would be quite annoying!!

Why bother with the Comcast issued gateway at all and just buy your own modem?

Frequent Visitor

• 

24 Messages

I already own my own modem.  I rent the gateway because it includes unlimited data at lower cost than the unlimited data fee.  Until this happened I had no issue with using the gateway as a modem in bridge mode.  Now, I may explore whether I can use my modem and use the gateway as a paperweight.

Frequent Visitor

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

I just discovered that comcast reset my router and disabled bridge mode AGAIN.  

Thankfully, AT&T started installing fiber on my street yesterday.  Very soon I'll be able to say goodbye to comcast, and that will be a happy day.  AT&T fiber is cheaper, faster, and unlimited.  I'm sure that comcast will offer me a cheaper rate and unlimited data when I call to cancel now that they have competition.  The one thing they can't fix is their sloth-like upload speeds.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here