needipv4's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, September 16th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Comcast Only giving me an IPv6 address, but it seems like my router needs IPv4

Last afternoon (around 4:00 PM PST) my router unexpectedly stopped being able to communicate with my modem (see picture of router ui: https://imgur.com/a/OVzwZu5)
But from my desktop, I'm able to connect to both my router and my modem without issue and can connect to the internet if I plug my desktop directly into the modem.
I think what happened is xfinity stopped giving me an ipv4 address, only an ipv6, and my router (wise tiger brand) doesn't work with ipv6 WAN addresses.
I'm not really a networking person so I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, but has anyone else experienced an issue like this before?
Anyone know how to request comcast to give an ipv4 address? I tried their customer support, but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked for an ipv4 address (maybe I don't know what I'm talking about).
Would rather not buy a new router since this one served me well for 2 years, but it seems like the only other step if I can't get this straightened out.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

4 years ago

Have you tried power-cycling / re-booting the modem for 30 seconds with the router attached to it and powered on ?

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

4 years ago

AFAIK, they are still assigning a dual stack configuration of IP addresses (both IPv4 and IPv6). Can you look into your router's WAN configuration settings / properties and see exactly what IP addy's are being assigned to the WAN interface ?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Yeah. I tried that a few times. Power cycled the modem and router separately as well as together. I think my router just doesn't support ipv6 so there is not much I can do besides getting xfinity to give me an ipv4 address or getting a new router.

Edit: Sorry EG for my initial response. I got frustrated hearing Comcast's automated robot telling me to power cycle my devices a million times that I didn't read your instructions carefully. Just read your answer again. That seemed to work! Thank you!

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Hmm. Now that I think about it. It is a little strange that it's working now even after I power cycled everything like ten times. Maybe it was the modem trying to only use the ipv6 address, not realizing that it was connected to a router that only supports ipv4 and I just needed to power cycle the modem while it was connected to the router without power cycling the router (like you suggested). Maybe that's the one setup I didn't try to power cycle. Would that make sense? Well, I don't know what I'm talking about haha.
Thanks for your help! Hopefully xfinity doesn't actually remove ipv4 any time soon.

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

4 years ago

@needipv4 wrote:

Yeah. I tried that a few times. Power cycled the modem and router separately as well as together. I think my router just doesn't support ipv6 so there is not much I can do besides getting xfinity to give me an ipv4 address or getting a new router.

Edit: Sorry EG for my initial response. I got frustrated hearing Comcast's automated robot telling me to power cycle my devices a million times that I didn't read your instructions carefully. Just read your answer again. That seemed to work! Thank you!

Oh, o/k. Then disregard my latest reply. Glad you got it sorted out !

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

4 years ago

Quite welcome !

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

It seems xfinity gateway doesn’t assign IPv4 sometimes and my WiFi adapter showing unidentifiable network/public network even I am in a private network (sometime correctly identified as WiFi name and private network). In this event, the internet is  it working or only first page by search engines - google, bing…

I manually assign IPv4, then the internet connection is fine. I guess either IPv4 or IPv6 should work but the gateway couldn’t completely handle IPv6. It should assign IPv4 in my experience. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @monkeyjumps, thank you for reaching out to us for help with your connection settings. We definitely understand the importance of having a stable connection and our team is here to help! When you notice the IPV4 not being properly assigned, do you have the automatically assign IP address featured enabled on your Gateway? Also, are you just using your Xfinity gateway outside of Bridge mode, or do you have any 3rd party routers connected? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

3 years ago

@monkeyjumps 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (copy your post and paste it there). Thanks. Re-closing this 10 nonth old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here